Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   98 12 valve low power? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/123222-98-12-valve-low-power.html)

countryboy040993 09-13-2014 11:19 PM

98 12 valve low power?

Ok i have a 98 12valve stage 1 reman auto trans.. have a bhaf,boost elbow, #100 plate about 1/8" from full forward and afc full forward, advanced timing and starwheel turned all the way forward..my truck is a total turd until it hits overdrive.. dont matter how much more i push down throttle it doesnt seem to make a difference. ive noticed most guys says with this setup they roll the smoke and gain alot of hp.. i DONT want the smoke it jus makes me wonder if i have low power due to lack of fueling... it will puff a little cloud if i smash the throttle hard from a stop but thats it.. truck is a dog through the gears.. it sucks tryimg to get on highway until it hits overdrive then it will takes off like a rocket.. its like i have no top end fueling.. i know my trucks starts defueling around 2100 rpm but its a dog before that too..has a new fuel filter and pre filter screen also..

JBearSVT 09-14-2014 07:00 AM

Trans isn't built enough.

countryboy040993 09-14-2014 11:48 AM

Well when they put the trans in they said it had a billet converter and it would handle 100hp over stock do u think im really over 280hp? The truck acted the same way before when i had the 11 plate in?

JBearSVT 09-14-2014 12:05 PM

I'd say you're around there, but I can't imagine a billet convertor only being good for another 100hp. The rest of the trans... well... whole other story. Regardless, lower stall and more line pressure will do it, as would a lockup switch, but you have to build serious if you want to have a lockup switch that's really worth having. The easiest way to make it not be a dog off the line is to can the slushbox and convert it to stick.

countryboy040993 09-14-2014 01:27 PM

Yea i should of just had them convert it instead of putting another trans in..this is my 5th dodge with an automatic and i swore i would never buy another auto i jus couldnt turn this truck down with the condition it was in..

JBearSVT 09-14-2014 02:41 PM

This is my sixth auto trans in my first truck, wish I'd just started where I ended up.

It may not be true for everyone (obviously isn't, since most of the people in here say a TC and a shift kit are plenty good enough), but for me at least- built to the hilt is built right. And now I know it's best to just build it right the first time. I have more in this last trans than I spent on the truck, and IMO it's almost as good as a stick would have been.

countryboy040993 09-14-2014 03:09 PM

Yea i had a 06 cr before with 650hp and that was an auto that i had built pretty good.. but this one i didnt have it built that much because im not planning on taking this truck over 350hp.. ill prolly do the afc mods and a 3gsk and leave it there.. it has 186000 miles and dont wanna make its life any shorter lol plus my high hp racing days are over since i have a house to pay for now lol... but does my smoke sound normal? Like i said most guys were sayin they roll the smoke and mine barely smokes at all... i dont want the smoke it jus makes me feel like there is a lack of fuel maybe.. ill have to test the lift pump pressure and make sure thats up to par since it looks like its the original one..

JBearSVT 09-14-2014 05:16 PM

Mine didn't smoke that much until I was putting it all to the pavement. Not saying you don't have other issues, just saying until you can lock it you aren't really loaded.

countryboy040993 09-14-2014 06:45 PM

Ok im jus gonna do some fuel pressure tests and see if that tellse me anything.. thanks!

4x4manonbroke 09-16-2014 10:05 PM

I would have said fuel pressure off the batt .. sorry I missed this thread .. my bad.. :dang: