12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Fan Clutch and AC

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan Clutch and AC

When I first start the truck in the morning the ac will blow hot when stopped at lights because the fan clutch is free wheeling when the radiator is cold. Should just the ac on be enough to get the fan to pull some air? As soon as the thermostat opens the fan starts pulling enough air to run the ac when stopped and it's ice cold the rest of the trip stopped or moving. It's a hayden fan clutch that's about 3 weeks old and roars the fan at anything above 190 coolant temp in traffic. Is this normal during start up? It seems hard on the compressor and I don't remember my old one doing this. I think this fan free wheels slower than the old one and draws literally no air when cold. I can almost count the blades when its turning and the motor is cold and can't feel any air moving. What's the part number for the OEM fan clutch for a 97 2500 with a 12 valve.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Your going to need to check the A/C system pressures .. the air movement will not make that much of a difference ..

If you thihnk you have a weak fan clutch might as well have that checked also ..

You may also have a weak Expansion valve or A/C pump ..

Keep posted ..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Diesel Fan

I'm going to check pressures this afternoon but I almost certain its the fan. Before the engine warms up and I'm stopped the fan is not moving any air and maybe turning like 60-100 rpm and the condenser is too hot to touch.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Diesel Bomber

condensor being hot is normal .. may want to swap to a single 16" electric fan .. could help in town ..

Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Diesel Fan

AC checked out A ok as suspected. Ordered a Mopar fan clutch and installed it today and everything is working normal again.

The hayden fan clutch freewheels too slow at idle when the truck is cold and flows 0 air before the radiator warms up which is great for milage but causes the AC to trip out on high pressure because the condenser is not cooling down when stopped at lights. If you put your hand between the radiator and intercooler you cant feel any air moving.

The Mopar clutch freewheels a little faster when cold. You can feel a some air moving when you stick your hand between the intercooler and radiator. This airflow is enough to keep the condenser cool enough to not trip the compressor safety switch, even when the radiator is stone cold.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Diesel Bomber

Good deal .. Glad to hear its all worken better ...