Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Runaway cummins, running on its own oil???? (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/122867-runaway-cummins-running-its-own-oil.html)

abuchanan250 08-24-2014 06:58 PM

Runaway cummins, running on its own oil????

so I pulled my lift pump on my 95 12v to replace the gasket behind the pump to the block. after replacing it I decided to try and see if vise grips would work to pull a DV holder to install my new 191's. after two tries at it I put the injector line back on and turned all the barrels back to their stock positions. (had previously turned them about 1/16 for more fuel) so after I turned the barrels back I went to start it. nothing. cracked an injector to check for fuel and bleed any air. no fuel. changed the fuel filter. still nothing. found out you need a spacer behind the lift pump to allow the pushrod to move enough. so I made spacer. now I get plenty of fuel it seems to the injection pump and plenty of fuel out of the delivery valve holders and I get a decent amount of fuel to the injectors themselves. so I bit the bullet and gave it two shots of starting fluid. fired up and ran on its own fuel I think. now the throttle linkage is doing nothing when I hit the throttle and it will rev itself up to about 2300rpm. when I shut the truck off nothing. plug the turbo nothing. had to crack the first three injectors just to shut the truck off. and it lost probably a half quart of oil just from me trying to start it. but it hasn't dripped one drop.
any ideas on what in the hell I might have done wrong would be sweet.
Thanks for any help!

4x4manonbroke 08-25-2014 11:08 AM

you emptied the IP when you pulled it .. hench the loss of oil .. your Barrels are possibly jammed or you got something down in the pump, Gonna be something simpl e.. try one thing at a time .. take your time dont wanna over due it .. :c:

turbo2332 08-25-2014 04:29 PM

Is the rack stuck

4x4manonbroke 08-25-2014 04:56 PM

I would pull the rack plug as ensure that there is in fact travel .. it could have gotten jammed ... or a barrel is spun or Hung up .. something .. :humm:

This is about the third thread with the exact same issue in the last few weeks ... :s:

turbo2332 08-25-2014 07:01 PM

if you messed with the barrels did you look to see that the shimms stayed underneith the hold downs. if one slipped out and you tightened things up you put that plunger in a bind against the barrel and things are stuck like chuck.

4x4manonbroke 08-26-2014 09:14 PM

yeah .. thats a good point ...

Any luck ??? :pca1:

Alex Buchanan 08-30-2014 09:04 AM

You guys are damn good. Missed 2 shims out of cylinders 3 and 5. Trying to have a friend make me 2 more. Or can I take them out of another running 12v? Or am I screwed?

turbo2332 08-30-2014 04:43 PM

no take the other shims out of the other side of the effected barrel and it will have a number stamped into it. take that to a pump shop and they will probably give you the 2 shims. dont half ass this one they need to be right on the money.

4x4manonbroke 08-31-2014 05:47 PM

They need to be the same thickness .. you could use them form another pump .. ONLY IF .. they are the same thickness .... thats a must or your spilll port timing will be off and the engine will have a miss to it .. :td:

geddy's uncle 09-01-2014 08:02 AM

As soon as I saw "vise grips" in an IP posting, I thought "well there's yer praaablum"