12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

What is with dodge autos and the loose stall

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is with dodge autos and the loose stall

So I have a built Trans with a triple disk. I can't tell if it is slipping or if it is just a super high stall. Someone at a Shop told me it was 1600. It takes a while for the smoke to clear and the turbo to spool and it to grab. It's almost like the lock up is 1600-2100 and it is a DOG until overdrive finally shifts on. I can also post a video. In addition towing is horrible at low speeds. It winds up boost and Rpms, and again makes it seem like a Bad TC.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there anuff oil in the tranny my new one did that, because it was a little low on oil very sensitive they seem.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds to me like whoever built it doesn't know wtf they're doing.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Sounds like low line pressure issues ... when was the last service done ??

Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Diesel Fan

Fluid is good and only a year old. Trans is a Goerend, I bought it used, I don't know anything more about it. Valve body is new. Also truck has a #0 ground plate, 30psi, adjusted afc, exhaust, and AFE BHAF

Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Well, if it's a Goerend, it shouldn't be a matter of build quality. I'd get the line pressure checked. It also sounds like you need a lockup switch. Part of the reason it's a dog until OD is because the TC isn't locking until it shifts into 4th, that's just how they are. But again, if you don't have enough line pressure for whatever reason, it's going to be even worse.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
Well, if it's a Goerend, it shouldn't be a matter of build quality. I'd get the line pressure checked. It also sounds like you need a lockup switch. Part of the reason it's a dog until OD is because the TC isn't locking until it shifts into 4th, that's just how they are. But again, if you don't have enough line pressure for whatever reason, it's going to be even worse.
this statement is partially untrue. yes they dont lock untin THIRD! 1,2,3, 3rd lock-up, OD, but a dog in 1 and 2 is a far cry from a properly operating transmission. all automatic transmissions loose X hp due to fluid shear which is also heat. a lock up switch eliminates both but make the transmission completely not operate like it should. a lock up switch should be used for engine braking, sled pulling or drag racing.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Diesel Fan

God that explaines a lot. What a horrible design. So a lock up switch will it permanently lock it while its flipped? As in if I lock it at 1400 in 1st it will stay locked through all gears? Also. Part of the problem is its almost like the TPS take a sec or so to realize accelerating which is cause of the lag somewhat. Indont know if this is normal or not. That also explaines the towing problem. I'm used to towing with a gasser and a 7.3 auto. So do the nv4500 and other manual dodges "pull" and "hook up" a lot better? Or does the loss of boost between the shifts make it slower than the auto.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Have you adjusted the AFC at all ???

Any smoke ?
What adjustments have you made ??
what size tires ?

Please fill out the Singature , this will help with our "Hypothesis' " as to what to suggest ...

Old 07-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Thelast12v
God that explaines a lot. What a horrible design. So a lock up switch will it permanently lock it while its flipped? As in if I lock it at 1400 in 1st it will stay locked through all gears? Also. Part of the problem is its almost like the TPS take a sec or so to realize accelerating which is cause of the lag somewhat. Indont know if this is normal or not. That also explaines the towing problem. I'm used to towing with a gasser and a 7.3 auto. So do the nv4500 and other manual dodges "pull" and "hook up" a lot better? Or does the loss of boost between the shifts make it slower than the auto.

whats a horrible design? this stye transmission was used for hell probably 35 years by chrysler. they arnt junk just need a little tuning to work well with a diesel wich has such a narrow typically hard power band.

and yes you flip the switch and it is locked into full power ttransfer through the converter/input shaft. it is HORRIBLE for the longevity of any transmission.