12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Are my expectations to high???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are my expectations to high???

Recently purchased a 95 ram 2500 12v cummins, changed 160 injectors to 215, 3000 gsk kit, new lift pump, number 10 fuel plate, adjustable ofv, and still I dont think Im getting the power I should. Am I missing something. Ive been reading this forum for the last 3 months and speaking with the vendors, have done what I thought I should but,.. everyone I read about on here claims night & day difference with fuel plate and springs alone. Ive done more and dont see any notable difference. HELP what am I missing???
also on ofv I had to turn it all the way shut just to get 23 psi. that being said I before I got the ofv i pinched off the over flow line and pressure bottomed out my guage had to turn the truck off??? Dont get it.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

with the ofv shut you should have MORE than enough fuel pressure .. if not your lift pump isnt putting out the pressure/volume ... and that will make the Engine fall on its *** quick ..

Old 06-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

yep def a fuel pressure issue if all your getting is 23psi. buddy with nearly the same truck as yours just an he351cw and a 4gsk kit ran a 13.4 or 6? cant quite remeber last onth that puts him just over 400hp. you should be pretty close to that.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:26 PM

I put vice grips on the over flow line and the psi went off the gauge. Had to turn the truck off. How is it a fuel pressure issue?

Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Dunno, but in your few months lurking here you never heard me say a GSK and a fuel plate made a night and day difference. You've said nothing about your transmission, so everything I'm about to say is clarified by the fact that I'm assuming you have a bone stock 47RH slushbox:

Springs, no plate, the AFC all the way forward and a built transmission (the most important player in that scenario) are noticeably stronger than stock, but it's still trying to push a (dirty) seven thousand pound sausage through the air. Honestly, given the choice between

A) a built trans with the stock plate and AFC both full forward, and
B) a stock trans with any # plate and a GSK...

I'll take the stock pump adjusted for free and a built trans any day of the week.

As it now sits (custom sticks, custom turbo, trans, springs, head work, etc- thou$and$ more than the truck is worth invested in it) my truck is much faster than stock; but I'm not going to go out and pick a fight with a Hyabusa. Anyone who tells you that you can swap some relatively cheap parts, turn some screws and then go out and embarrass Corvettes is blowing smoke up your ***... and I don't mean rolling coal.
Or maybe I do, because rolling coal =/= doing something right in the performance dept., but I digress. Regardless, given the info you've supplied, I'm going to say your conversation opener is spot on: your expectations are too high. With some knowledge you can make it significantly better than stock. With some knowledge and money, you can make it pretty quick (for what it is) and efficient (for what it is) but you can't make it what it ain't. With knowledge and a ridiculous amount of money, you can make it genuinely fast by almost any standard, but it isn't going to be something you want to drive every day, and anyone who says different is [rolling coal right up your ***] lying about their "supertruck". It is what it is. But I think you have two issues going on here, and I've only addressed one of them. Do you have a fuel pressure issue? Maybe. I have no idea, but I'm not sure we're all on the same page yet.

Last edited by JBearSVT; 06-21-2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: drunk
Old 06-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

dammit

Old 06-22-2014, 03:01 AM

i have a jasper built 47rh trans with about 12000 miles on it . it feels good though,i mean good shifts. it doesnt rolllll into gear. i dropped the pan to check the magnet & change the fluid. magnet had minimal stuck to it. cleanest i ever saw actually. i also have a lock up switch. my goal is to just have a well rounded truck. pull what i ask it"with in reason" and get the milage i hear about....the guy i bought it from pulled a 28 foot travel trailer through hills of Colorado.i saw pics. i also bought the timing kit and moved the timing to 16.5 . i hope this sheds more light on my situation . i appreciate your responses and your feedback. i used a pressure gauge snubber to check fuel pressure,along with 3 different gauges . and again its a new lift pump. let me know what you think, thanks

Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Diesel Bomber

Its also not about going fast ....... My truck has a 215 in a 180 truck .. yes I can kill ls3's from light to light ... but i also have 4K just in go fast ( mostly in trans work ) .. of course having 4.10's is nice too ..

I think you should watch this viedo to give you more perspective on just how to tune your truck ... adn YES it taught me something ... I admit , I dont know it all

Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Diesel Bomber

this helps most people , gain some understanding about how it works there fore you will understand how to tune better and mmore effectivly

Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

i guess i read your post wrong. your fuel pressure spikes high as it should. then next i would go to how did you install the govoner springs? if you install the springs with minimal tension the truck wont rev out like it shoulf. it will have a dead pedal. i take them down initial plus 6 clicks.

Quick Reply: Are my expectations to high???