Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   tranny noise (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/121239-tranny-noise.html)

blue ox 05-22-2014 10:56 PM

tranny noise

Sooo I was heading down the freeway doing 60mph towing M105A2 trailer I just picked up off craigs list when I start to hear a kinda bearing noise, not sure where its coming from so I pull over and start to check things out, not leaking any fluids that I can see no obviouse drips so I wait until traffic is clear I take off on the shoulder of the freeway get to 2nd gear and noise is still there go to 3rd and it gets a little louder so I called a wrecker got towed home and started looking for the noise I found that my trans was blowing oil out the breather tube I think, there is a rubber hose that comes from what looks like the top of trans and is secured to about a 4" hard line bolted to the back of engine tranny oil blown all over trans and exhaust, pull filler plug cannot touch oil , pop right side pto cover and drain a little more than a quart of oil out 3 quarts short and oil is got glitter in it and fine stuff in the bottom of trans, not sure what to do next just replace nv4500, upgrade to a 6 speed or try to rebuild this myself, what is everyones opinion are these hard to rebuild, thanks for any imput Eddie.

LostSoul71 05-23-2014 12:19 AM

Did 5th gear come loose on it? I would look into a rebuild kit for it if you are mechanical, I have not done one, but I have done a few Samurai Transfer cases as well as a couple of Toyota units and I cannot see these old NV's being that tough to do. I have really heard mixed ratings on the 6 speeds so I would be apprehensive about installing one in mine. I have driven a 6 speed truck and I was not overly impressed with the Tranny but to each their own I guess.

blue ox 05-23-2014 11:55 AM

Not 5th gear I had that fixed about 5 yr ago ,I'm going to research on rebuilding it myself

LostSoul71 05-23-2014 09:16 PM

Can't hurt, if you are in there, look at replacing anything that you can upgrade at the same time. One time rebuild if you can.

4x4manonbroke 05-23-2014 10:15 PM

Yeah better to catch it early and fix and up grade now .. next time it can get spendy, and really metallic .. LOL .. I learned the hard way with a 14 bolt corperate diff ... 1800 later .. was wishing i had just changed the carrier bearings ... locked up a diff and towed to a shop and such !!!!! it was a real pain in the wallet ...

blue ox 05-24-2014 11:32 AM

rebuild

I've been trying to find some info on rebuilding it but cant seem to locate any videos or info on rebuild kits I dont want to take it apart without first looking at what I'm getting into.

4x4manonbroke 05-24-2014 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by blue ox (Post 1062588)
I've been trying to find some info on rebuilding it but cant seem to locate any videos or info on rebuild kits I dont want to take it apart without first looking at what I'm getting into.

Good thinking ... :tu:

blue ox 06-02-2014 11:57 AM

Update, I found a place in Tennessee called High Gear.com has new OEM nv4500 they bought from new venture when they closed up shop with updated main shaft splined to the end and 5 th gear update 12 month 12000 mile warranty dyno for leaks and operation $1495.00

blue ox 06-02-2014 11:58 AM

O, any ideas on clutch last one was just a stock from local a/p store

4x4manonbroke 06-02-2014 02:19 PM

South bend ... Go dual disc, and don't look back.... If you never have the big power it will last a real long time then ...