Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   1996 12v cummins oil issue (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/120946-1996-12v-cummins-oil-issue.html)

4x4manonbroke 05-17-2014 11:47 PM

There are only 2 reasons for oil in coolant, most prominate is the oil cooler , the other is the HG, and its real unlikley the HG , you would know if it were leaking as they usually run ruff, smoke (steam), and or oil in coolant and or coolant in oil ( which if you get coolant in your oil you will need to rool in new bearings at the least ... as coolant contimination will wipe them out real fast)... Drive it a bit and report back, this may take a bit to determine if it is infact fixed..

Brassmonkey 05-18-2014 09:13 AM

sounds like oil cooler was leaking. If so cooling system is hard to clean. I've been through this a couple times. Had good success desolving Tide laundry detergent in a bucket of warm water then dumping in cooling system with thermostat removed and let run for an hour or so.

NadirPoint 05-18-2014 11:16 AM

No doubt it was the oil cooler, and like brassmonkey said, you will need to get the cooling system cleaned before drawing any conclusions. I would do the laundry detergent run-flush-run-flush at least three times then run it with just water for a couple days to make sure before putting any antifreeze/coolant back in.

cummins Pride 05-18-2014 01:06 PM

just flushed the system and put new oil cooler in. The first time the thermostat open a bunch of oil came in. Idk what to do im in the middle of tearing the engine out now and working the baby over better gasket,studding the head and stuff. One more thing all of a sudden with this oil in anti-freeze i have a lot of blow by out of no were engine only has 182k

4x4manonbroke 05-18-2014 03:21 PM

Or your tore a O-ring on the install and thats where the oil is comming from ( I have done it a few times to my self )....

Some blowbye is to be expected - Just how much are ya talking ??? little or is it puffing quite a bit ?

cummins Pride 05-18-2014 08:55 PM

constant cloud bro

4x4manonbroke 05-19-2014 02:56 PM

Yeah, also might think about the turbo compressor side, I have done Manny Caterpillar C15 and Accert engines when it was a bad turbo that was compressing air through the oil return line ... Way cheaper to kick a turbo off and slap on one that will do till u can gets performance upgrade.... My $.02

cummins Pride 05-19-2014 05:33 PM

ya i know the hx35s are pretty tough but over 300,000 miles on it running 35psi for most of those miles im sure its a little tired

4x4manonbroke 05-19-2014 08:37 PM

Could be part if not the entire issue ... done it on a S60 recently ... then we found fuel in coolant ... ok now its toast ..LOL cracked injetor cups .. time for a new head ... oh man scored cylinders .. ok now time for a full build ... LOL i hate the slow moving train wrecks ... Plan for the worst , be happy with anything better than that ... LOL

cummins Pride 05-20-2014 08:03 PM

haha ya i know what you mean