12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question

Hey guys I have a 97 dodge 2500 12 valve, auto, 4x4, never have any problems with it at all, until a week ago, so I bout a parts tranny well it's a 47re out of a 2000 cummins but all the dodge trannys are basically the same right? I don't have don't have over drive or lock up, one morning I went out let it warm up left for work and would shift didn't have any problems with it the day before, so will the cylinoids in the 47re work in my tranny that I think is a 47rh, It looks like ill have to make some new plugs but will it mess anything up? Someone please help me

Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '97 transmission is a 47RE also, but your governor pressure transducer is going to be different than the 2000 tranny you bought. It would be easy to convert the 2000 to work in the '97, but I'd do a little diagnosis first. If you lost OD and TCC suddenly, is check to make sure you have power getting to your solenoids (ie. blown fuse, etc).

Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 142 Likes on 136 Posts

Good call D .... may have lost a ground as well ...

Old 12-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Diesel Fan

All the fuses checked out to be Okay, a guy told me there was a spring in the valve body that engages you overdrive? I replaced all the wiring for the solenoids in the the tranny, I have lock up just no over drive now, unless there's something else I'm missing, I'm learning new things a I go

Old 12-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your grounds

check your overdrive switch in the cab

i dont know how cold it is were you are but just make sure its getting warmed up if you dont drive to far might want to try diving it for awhile see if OD wont kick in

those are just easy things to check

hope this helps tell us if you figure something out

Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Diesel Fan

If both the OD and TCC are gone at the same time, you're most likely looking for a power feed problem to their solenoids. Both solenoids are powered up on the positive side by the relay, and then the computer provides a separate ground for each one. Even if the OD switch was bad and OD was locked out, you should still have lockup in 3rd gear.

Check fuses and check the relay for proper operation. Relays are somewhat notorious for failing.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ahhh... Just saw your post. My bad...

Yes, there is a large spring that engages the overdrive direct clutch in the OD unit, but that clutch is used in all gears EXCEPT overdrive. In overdrive, this clutch is disengaged while the overdrive brake clutch is engaged, holding the sun gear stationary, providing overdrive. The overdrive brake clutch is the #1 failed clutch that I see...

How was the fluid condition when you pulled the pan?

Last edited by Dynamic; 12-03-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Diesel Bomber

[QUOTE

How was the fluid condition when you pulled the pan?[/QUOTE]

this was my question as well, and color to speak of ? ( brass is yellowish, aluminum is obvious , black sludge is clutch material -usually )...

Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Diesel Fan

Changed all the fuses in the cab, new transmission relay, still nothing, I order a OD button should be here in a few days, the oil was darker coler stank a little bit, no clumps or anything not very many shavings and what I was figuring would be in there, I running out of things to do I'm hoping it's the switch, I do use it a lot pull trailors quit a bit, exspecislly when I'm in town and it's wanting to down shift from 5th to 4th, unless there's another relay or something but it clicked when I pushed the button but now it dosent thank you guys for all your help, I'll keep you guys posted

Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Diesel Fan

Unless the "OD OFF" light on the dash is on, and you can't turn it off, I doubt that it's the switch. It sounds to me like your OD brake clutch is gone. This is not an uncommon failure...

Old 12-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Diesel Bomber

I wouldnt be suprised either .... I have heard from many that its a common issue ... just OD in general in an auto ... gets abused quite a bit ..

Quick Reply: Transmission question