Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Head gasket question (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/116698-head-gasket-question.html)

Kbnecessary 11-11-2013 10:11 AM

Head gasket question

Is a oe gasket the way to go on this, and i was wondering if anyone was running mighty diesel head bolts was plannin on studs but these are way cheaper and i hear good things on em

4x4manonbroke 11-11-2013 02:32 PM

I'm gonna be running the OEM HG, and studs ...... if u go cheep .... it will fail:td:

turbo2332 11-11-2013 05:37 PM

im over 500 hp (truck hasnt been on the dyno for awhile now 525-550 somewhere) and have been running Tonys (think thats his name) head bolts for a couple years now. i would absolutely recommend them on a budget over ARP's for a mild build. dont get me wrong they arnt arp's but they are quality bolts that offer improved clomping force over stock bolts @ a quarter the price of head studs. by the gentleman above's post i would assume he has never ran the allen bolts and is going on the typical internet hunch. they are quality pieces and yield quality results

diesel pap 11-11-2013 08:10 PM

i have them in my 97 pulling truck with about 700 hp. i have them in my 08 6.7. my son has them in his 96. :hellox:

4x4manonbroke 11-11-2013 08:59 PM

No matter the bolt .. They are weake than a stud .

The bolt has a clamping force @ the threads and at the head of the bolt all the force is applied to the head of the bolt ....

Studs have 2 clamping surfaces ... threads @ both ends .. hence thier less likley to break or stretch as there is a larger linear area that will have to be over come.

All of this assuming that both bolt and studs are made of the same material of course ....

And sadly I have arp's and a new HG .... and have several frinds doing the same .. never herd of tonnys bolts ... but hey if they work then thats great ... wish i knew more about them , I would not mind trying a set .. I'm up for anything that works great and is less expencive :tu:

Side note : I have more than 20+ years of In shop mechanic experience and have worked on manny race/drag/mud/ and high HP diesels in my carear ..

just to name a few I worked @ Peterbilt for 2 1/2 years .. and now work for a Tour bus company building Engines and drive trains .... So yeah I know whats goin on in there.. just sayin

clementsdiesel 11-11-2013 09:47 PM

don't be afraid to be different

Peterbuilt (farm tuck) with a 855 Cummins came in our shop years ago did a 700hp Pittsburg diesel build on her 70000 miles later due to driving it to hard the truck had so much blow by the dipstick wouldn't stay in the tube but the head gasket was fine all was holding it down were bolts

I don't see to many big diesel engines with studs and they are working pretty damn hard everyday all day if it were me id try those bolts out :yeah:

GbryTxCtryBy 11-11-2013 11:44 PM

I just ordered a set of Tony's head bolts. All the reviews were great. Shipped the same day and we're at my door 2 days later!

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using Tapatalk 4

turbo2332 11-12-2013 05:26 AM

lube them well and torque them like a stock head bolt. i tried tightening them conventionaly back in the day (135ft lbs) and i stretched 2 bolts. 90 and 90* and they clamp just like advertized.

Kbnecessary 11-12-2013 06:32 AM

I think ill be trying a set of tonys bolts I sure studs are better but im just shooting for 500-550hp I don't see why good quality bolts wouldn't hold I build c-15s that are 600-700hp with insane amount of torque all they ever use in new bolts the pressure in them engines im sure is crazy amount higher and these