Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Power Loss, Higher Egt's, Boost fine, Low idle (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/115876-power-loss-higher-egts-boost-fine-low-idle.html)

Thelast12v 02-14-2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by turbo2332 (Post 1049099)
well your idle is to low. if you have to put your foot opn the pedal to start it you dont have enough start fuel. turn the idle up to around 800 idling and that will solve that problem. the white smoke is retarded pump timing or leaky injectors.

The thing is I just had the pump retimed and the idle turned up 2 months ago. And when the idle was turned up, It really pulled agianst the break at stoplights. If I put it in drive, and just let it coast I could coast up a small incline and probably get up to 10mph without touching the gas on a streight level ground.

When going say 50mph or so, and stomp on it, rpms, and boost go up, truck goes no where faster.

turbo2332 02-14-2014 11:50 AM

my truck will shift into OD without me helping it. probably does 40ish all by itself. i have a very low stall converter though. and if your making boost and going nowhere your tranny is hurt. it doesnt explain the smoke though. do you have a trans temp gauge? put a gauge on it and run it hard see what your temps get up to. its probably slipping like mad.

Thelast12v 02-14-2014 04:28 PM

Just noticed because we have a bout of warm weather I also have white smoke mixed with "coal" when heavy accelerating or revving, for about 5 mins after start up and it doesn't smell like normal burnt diesel. It looks like it thins out when the truck is warmed up, but it's still a little there. Could this be injectors? Pump?

4x4manonbroke 02-14-2014 07:20 PM

Timing ... :humm:

Thelast12v 02-14-2014 07:24 PM

I just had a shop retime it and set the idle up. Right after that it was quicker off the line, but pulled against the brakes bad. It seems like it has slipped again. Is that possible? An why?

Thelast12v 02-27-2014 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Thelast12v (Post 1049133)
Just noticed because we have a bout of warm weather I also have white smoke mixed with "coal" when heavy accelerating or revving, for about 5 mins after start up and it doesn't smell like normal burnt diesel. It looks like it thins out when the truck is warmed up, but it's still a little there. Could this be injectors? Pump?

Here is another video. Hard to hear, but it stutters a bit around 1100 when revved. Coming back down on rpms, you can here it. Listen closely. This is after 10 mins of idling in 37 degree weather. Almost like a miss. Also bad vibration at idle only in gear, and a jingle sound coming from under truck.

charlieboyd65 01-01-2016 08:22 PM

Did you find the problem?

I'm curious if you found the problem. I have a similar issue and would like to hear the outcome.

Thanks