Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   OEM fuel filter housing cracked... I think (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/114091-oem-fuel-filter-housing-cracked-i-think.html)

JBearSVT 07-27-2013 01:21 PM

OEM fuel filter housing cracked... I think

Got a pretty good leak coming from behind the stock housing, I can't see where it's coming from. It was spraying out pretty good, so I pulled the filter and checked the gaskets and snugged it back up. Thought it was fine, but today it was still running off the front pumpkin pretty good so I went to the shop and put a new filter in. Still running right into a good puddle on the ground when I stop. Pretty sure the housing is cracked, but it's hard to tell. Lines are both good, as is the drain petcock. Never mind the mileage this is costing me, it's making a mess. I've got to do something.

Not interested in investing in a big fuel system like FASS or Airdog. I will just never need it, and I don't have the money. I seem to remember hearing about basic filter relocation kits awhile back though, that convert it to a spin on filter. My initial homework isn't coming up with much though. Anyone know what I'm talking about? What are my options?

NEWBIE 98 07-27-2013 03:03 PM

call cummins for a replacement part. but make sure you have the ESN when you call.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

the earlier second gens are spin on. with the wif sensor in the bottom. I helped a buddy with his change and it was way easier than my 98. he got a 3 pack of Baldwin US made filters too for $25 too. way more economical tan the element change at $35 a piece.

JBearSVT 07-27-2013 03:14 PM

I've never paid anywhere near $35 for that filter. Holy crap! Pretty sure we're getting Wix ones right now for well under $20. Regardless, I think the question is, how hard is it to fit the 94-96 filter setup on the 98? I couldn't get the housing from Chrysler or Cummins anymore when I looked into it last year as a preventative measure for something like this happening. The few I came across were hundreds of dollars, which, if I'm going to spend that much I may as well upgrade to something that's actually better. Changing the filter once a month for the last three years I've grown used to the arrangement, but I can't say it doesn't suck.

NEWBIE 98 07-27-2013 04:47 PM

Bolt on fix bro. junkyard find or new one from Cummins. Same location and hard wear. But you need the different WIF sensor too. I don't think it has the drain down to purge the water like in the 98 though which is kinda nice. I think all the plumbing is the same too and same location on the block if that's the way you want to go. But Wow every MONTH!! The maintenance schedule is 24,000 mi.

I agree. I have been considering the change to the upgraded fuel delivery systems. They seem to really make a difference and extend the service life of the injection system. I read some of the stuff about the stock system and it seems to already be struggling and would be a definite way to put some ease into the maintenance too. But all that dang money for them. crap man.

JBearSVT 07-28-2013 11:42 AM

I drive about 5K/month. That's when I do the oil and filter, grease the front end and u-joints, rotate the tires, etc. Doing the fuel filter at the same time as the other stuff is just part of the maintenance schedule for the company I work for. They do the air filters then too, but the BHAF isn't cheap like the panel ones so I milk it out. I usually get about 6-8 months out of my BHAF before it's looking shabby. Granted, I own the truck, but I'm getting paid to put the filters they bought in it, so. I do it. I've also noticed on my FP gauge that 5K is about how long it takes for my pressure to start dropping.

Took the housing assembly off today, and it really looks perfect. I can see it dripping between the canister and the block while it's running, but not where. Up near the top somewhere. I can also hear what sounds like air hissing around the filter somewhere, but can't see where. Could be unrelated, vacuum line or something.
I'm pretty sure it isn't actually the filter housing leaking now. I held my fingers over the fuel-in line and pumped the primer, and couldn't get it to leak so I don't think it's that one. There also appears to be a rubber line that runs along the block right behind the filter that appears to be dripping while it's running too, but it could just be runoff from the spot where it's leaking up behind the canister. It's all pretty wet and rusted back there, it could be any of those lines. :sad:

NEWBIE 98 07-29-2013 05:29 AM

The return line cross over to the system is on the very top and the one back to the tank comesof the injection pump. Do you have all your stock lines or improved type? the return and supply lines from the factory are some kind of plastic with a rubber shield over them it could be that return line. That driver side is packed with all kinds of stuff.:pca1:

JBearSVT 07-29-2013 05:19 PM

Lines are stock. I'm 98% sure I got it today, the rubber line that runs behind the filter along the block was very dry rotted and cracked. Replaced it, and it seems to be good.