Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   Frankenpod gauge pod (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/113113-frankenpod-gauge-pod.html)

dennhop 06-18-2013 04:01 PM

Frankenpod gauge pod

15 Attachment(s)
So, I didn't want to spend any more money than I needed too, but I did need to run a boost gauge between the primary and secondary, to see what my primary is lighting at. I already had a boost gauge, pyro, and fuel pressure. I still had my autometer mechanical 0-60 boost gauge, so I didn't have to spend any more money on that, and I still had the old A pillar 2 gauge mount.

After some quick cutting and fitting, here's what it turned out to be-notice anything different?
Attachment 34957

My own Dodge 4 gauge pillar pod!
Attachment 34958

I just pulled it out of the truck tonight, to modify it some more, as I've decided to mount my 5th gauge on the pod. I marked the pod in the truck, so I know it fits, and then pulled it all out to mold them together.

As I marked it, and before I cut the hole out for the wires to go through...

Attachment 34959

Hole cut out with a dremel, and then smoothed out with the sander wheel on the dremel.
Attachment 34960

This is the second pod of the 2 gauge pod, after I've cut it to fit the area...it doesn't like up exactly right, but with how I'm planning on mounting it, I'm not too worried...
Attachment 34961

1st step, I used some 2 part 1 minute epoxy, and some fiberglass. I cut out strips of fiberglass, laid the epoxy on the plastic, and then placed the fiberglass down on the pod. If I had to do it again, I think I'd get some slower setting epoxy, as it dried up pretty quick, and if I didn't get all of it on the pod immediately, I wasted a lot of it. It's solid though, there's absolutely no give on the pod...
Attachment 34962

2nd step, I got a small tube of glazing spot putty, for metal, fiberglass, etc, and then coated the pod over the fiberglass. Once it dries out, I'll sand it down, and touch up if needed. Once that's done, I'll paint it over, and reinstall.
Attachment 34963

A few more pics as it stands right now....note to self...either use actual fiberglassing epoxy or switch to a 5 minute epoxy...the 5 minute epoxy allowed me more time to lay the fiberglass and to smooth it out before hardening...

Top pod redone
Attachment 34964

Overall pod....
Attachment 34965

Bottom one mostly sanded....
Attachment 34966

Inside of pod. I ground it out so the hole matched up with the outline of the pod itself...
Attachment 34967

Just another update, all I need is the paint to dry, and I can put it back in!
Sprayed it down with a rattle can herculiner, so it would flex better, and hold a little bit more texture-that's the idea, anyway! I'm not spraying the inside, I could care less how that looks, since no one's ever going to see it but me!
Attachment 34968
Attachment 34969

The bottom pod sprayed...not the best picture, but it melded together fairly well, considering I've never fiberglassed a thing before in my life!
Attachment 34970

Top one...Yes, it looks really funny from this angle, but that's the same angle I had it at before I actually fiberglassed it to the pod. From inside the truck, the angle's really not that bad...same angle as the first pic I took of it, just a little less material now.
Attachment 34971

Hoping the paint will dry by this evening enough to put it all back together...the wife really needs the Jeep back; been driving it for the past two days now with my gauges and wires hanging all over the truck right now! Once it's in, I'll definitely get more pics of it.

dennhop 06-19-2013 06:25 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Not the greatest pics, but here it is, Frankenpod, in all its glory!

Attachment 34945

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Some slightly better pics..

Attachment 34946

Attachment 34947

It's not the best sanding job, and I could have spent more time doing it, but I needed the pod back in, so I left it at that...someone with a bit more experience and time with fiberglassing and filling could probably make it a lot more seamless than I did...
Attachment 34948

Attachment 34949

The switch on the panel, controlling my fog lights...
Attachment 34950

Manifold tapped for my drive pressure gauge...
Attachment 34951

Pay no attention to the slew of wires in the engine bay! I'm not exactly known for my clean wiring jobs on my own vehicles...on someone elses, I'd make sure it looked like factory...on mine, eh, whatever...
Oh, yeah, that's right, the stainless steel line coming off the manifold to the drive pressure filter.
Attachment 34952

JGS Drive pressure filter. It has a tire valve on the top, with a turn valve on the bottom, that lets you blow it out periodically...also, the small cylinder is retained by a snap ring, so you can take it apart and clean it out also. It comes with two ports, so you could run a drive pressure gauge as well as a regulator/blowoff valve, but since I don't need the second port, I just put an old 1/8th NPT plug I had sitting around in it.
Attachment 34953

You can just barely see the petcock valve on the bottom...And the front line for my dual feed.
Attachment 34954

Top of filter, with the valve stem cover removed.
Attachment 34955

Another view of the Drive Pressure gauge..
Attachment 34956

97cummins 06-21-2013 03:51 AM

:tu::tu: