Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   97 12valve tappet cover oil leak (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/107455-97-12valve-tappet-cover-oil-leak.html)

pro fire guy 01-05-2013 08:02 PM

97 12valve tappet cover oil leak

my 97 12 valve seems to be leaking i think i need to take off injector pump does anyone know for sure thanks i am not a diesel mechanic but willing to tackle pretty much anything any advise appreciated thanks in advance

mysterync 01-05-2013 08:55 PM

Fairly easy job when using factory timing! Remove the pump and reseal the tappet cover. Make sure you clean the pump shaft and gear well. You'll need a pump gear puller.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

pro fire guy 01-05-2013 09:00 PM

thanks kind of what i thought but wasnt quite sure thanks for the help

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

one other thing do you know if there is a bracket on the rear of the pump

mysterync 01-05-2013 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by pro fire guy (Post 977340)
thanks kind of what i thought but wasnt quite sure thanks for the help

one other thing do you know if there is a bracket on the rear of the pump

Theres one at the bottom of the pump with 2 long 10mm bolts. You'll use the pinned timing method, its very easy but finding tdc can be a pain the first few times.

pro fire guy 01-05-2013 09:05 PM

thanks i will let you know how it goes probably tackle next weekend thanks very much

Fox 01-08-2013 10:36 PM

in my advice... to make things easier. Go ahead and try to find one of the nice metal TDC timing pins. The plastic ones leave so much room for error.

pro fire guy 01-10-2013 05:52 AM

I will see if I can get one thanks but what I was wondering was is the anything I should check so posts are talking about building oil pressure I don't want to do this job twice new to diesels and trying to do things right I am also going to check the killer dowel pin to see if its been done and change the belt tensioner I have bought another truck that has a banks kit on it in the summer I plan to swap over to this truck this ones standard the others auto so that will be the wife's get re done truck thanks for the help

I like what you done to your el camino have you got any pictures of your swap . I have a 1989 Dakota work truck that I would like to put a 3.9 cummins into if I can find one at a decent price there's a guy up here that put on in a full size dodge to pull fifth wheel it's putting out over 300 hp looks small under hood . Nice el camino you must get lots of looks and questions

mysterync 01-10-2013 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by pro fire guy (Post 978224)
I will see if I can get one thanks but what I was wondering was is the anything I should check so posts are talking about building oil pressure I don't want to do this job twice new to diesels and trying to do things right I am also going to check the killer dowel pin to see if its been done and change the belt tensioner I have bought another truck that has a banks kit on it in the summer I plan to swap over to this truck this ones standard the others auto so that will be the wife's get re done truck thanks for the help.
Just make sure you blow through the draft tube when you take the cover off. It will eliminate the possibility of crankcase pressure blowing the gasket. Forgot to mention you'll need to use some type of sealer to secure that gasket to the cover, high tack, rightstuff, rtv. Use it sparingly to avoid "squish out"

I like what you done to your el camino have you got any pictures of your swap . I have a 1989 Dakota work truck that I would like to put a 3.9 cummins into if I can find one at a decent price there's a guy up here that put on in a full size dodge to pull fifth wheel it's putting out over 300 hp looks small under hood . Nice el camino you must get lots of looks and questions

Fox 01-10-2013 10:38 AM

Yea... I do indeed get lots of looks. Since I had the AFC tuned to eliminate almost all my smoke, most people just think I have a really loud and clanky car. lol

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...37752427_n.jpg

pro fire guy 01-12-2013 05:44 PM

how did you manage to tuck the 12 valve in there and not have to alter the hood the 12 valves alot taller then a 350 got any pictures under the hood .we got my tappet cover off today and fixed the dowel pin but jobber gave me a cork gasket for tappet cover original was rubber so i am going to cummins or dodge to get original gaskets thanks for your help