Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   runaway (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/107004-runaway.html)

yfzrunner 12-24-2012 08:17 PM

runaway

Hey guy are the 12v prone to runaway being that they have no computers. I just wanted input on how do you guys prepare for this. I doubt i will be willing to stand next to a reving motor to pull off the air intake and shoot a CO2 fire extinguisher into it. So has any one bought a CO2 remote extinguisher, mounted the nozzle into the intake and the switch on the dash. And when it revs hit a switch. Just wanna be safe and prepared thanks. or better yet is there a air shutoff kit i can buy i see they need it in truck pulls but i looks like they aint running a air intake. And i also have a manual so can i just shift up and dumb the clutch to chock it out.

olsmokey 12-24-2012 10:10 PM

you would be incredibly lucky to dump the clutch to stall out a runaway Cummins. ive had the 3-53 detroit run away in my 230 timberjack with a full hitch behind it and just spin the clutch. I dont think with proper pump tuning and a correct gov. spring you will have any issues with it running away. But just in case for my truck i have a cone filter on my turbo that if pulled hard enough will come off without a wrench and a thick piece of rubber from a conveyor belt to choke it off.

diesel pap 12-24-2012 10:30 PM

a turbo leaking oil will cause a run away. on sled pullers we have flaps on the turbo nose to shut down engine but no air filters.

1stgenblowingsmoke 12-25-2012 03:01 AM

I heard p-pumps can't runaway like a 1st gen can. Never heard of it happening I wouldn't be to worried about it myself.

yfzrunner 12-25-2012 09:01 AM

yes i heard it was rare. But my truck came a little turned up and he said he just moved the fuel plate forward but who knows what else was done lol. I know it barely smokes and has a manual boost controller pushing about 30psi. I just wondering if any one has or makes a manual shutdown that i can run with stock intake or even a after market one but a filter is a must. Im always paranoid lol thanks guys.:scare2:

diesel pap 12-25-2012 09:21 AM

bd makes a shut down. we can get them.

yfzrunner 12-25-2012 11:49 AM

yes i probally would be interested in one after new years but how much we talking i seen them for for 1500 bux. I just want to be on the safe side and were are they mounting them at. Some say at the intercooler and some say after the airfilter but im not sure i fear turbo seal going bad more then anything. But want a correct shutdown for any type of runaway and this will work with the factory air intake got any pics let me know im interested.

JBearSVT 12-25-2012 01:13 PM

Out of curiosity, what would happen you you just uh... turned the key off?

BramanteCummins 12-25-2012 05:36 PM

It releases the fuel shutdown solenoid which kills the motor unless its a true runaway and sucks the oil from the bottom end. Only way to stop that is killing its air supply. Like stated earlier there's the flap to choke it.

BramanteCummins 12-25-2012 05:39 PM

Or turbo**