Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   new here with a couple questions (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/105439-new-here-couple-questions.html)

Rockstarman 11-18-2012 03:25 PM

new here with a couple questions

Hey guys I'm new here but have a passion for Cummins turbo diesels. I recently acquired a Cummins 12v of unknown year out of an old motergrader. I don't have a truck for it yet but I'd like to start slowly building it for decent power and reliability. It's a short block so i only have the block, crank, pistons, cam, and random misc. valve train parts. Any input would be greatly appreciated i do know that i want it to have a p7100 injector pump but other than that I'm lost at what to do. Also it sat around in a shop for 10+ years not properly covered but the machine work on the block is still good but the cam and crank are slightly rusty covered in crap i was able to polish out the cam with like 1200 or 1800 grit emry cloth but haven't touched the crank yet. I'm getting a little itchy to start playing with it but until I finish this semester I'm broker than a bum.

daveO 11-19-2012 09:48 PM

What kind of power are you looking to make?

Rockstarman 11-20-2012 12:36 AM

600-700 ft. lbs. or is that unreasonable for stock internals? thank you very much for the reply

daveO 11-20-2012 08:05 PM

That is very reasonable and pretty easy to achieve. Stock internals will be plenty strong for that.

Rockstarman 11-22-2012 01:29 AM

so where do you think i should start with this build then?

daveO 11-22-2012 09:30 PM

Stock internals would be a good start, you can get pretty far on them. For the power you're initially looking for, o-rings and studs probably won't be required, but might be a good idea if at some point you think you'd like to make more power. You can get that number on a stock turbo, but might want to look into something like an hx35/40 hybrid. I would look into at least 3k gov springs, but 4k wouldn't be a bad idea either, you would just need at least 60# exhaust valve springs. As far as fueling, 5x0.012's would probably get you to what you're looking for.

Rockstarman 11-23-2012 01:33 AM

thats exactly the kind of direction pointing i needed for turbos and injectors who makes a decent product and where would be the best place to get o head from? and what are orings i mean i know what they are in general but dont know what the diesel term refers to

daveO 11-23-2012 09:24 PM

There are a lot of good options for turbos, I run a High Tech Turbo myself, Industrial Injection also makes great turbos and fuel system parts. O-ringed heads you can usually get done at any place that does machine work on diesel heads. Basically what it is, is the machine shop will cut a groove around each "cylinder" in the head and press a steel wire in there. This provides extra clamping force on the headgasket right around the top of the cylinder.