12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

wont start then will start

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default wont start then will start

So I have 1996 dodge 12V with 172k. First off the the truck runs great all but sometimes. Summer it starts every time with out missing a beat, Winter comes around and the truck starts giving me stat problams, I plug it in all the time and it seems to do nothing (Should I replace the block heater?) I change fuel and oil filter probaly more than I should. I have adjusted my idol but it seems to not hit the spot in the morning first stat it lags and sometimes dies untell I push the throttle down then it will lug for a moment and the Idol will slowly rise to the set point at about 600RPM or a little more. Then I can hop into a ice cold truck let it worm up a min and drive. Then my next problem if I shut it down some tiems it wont start up when I turn the key it wll just crank over turn the key back wait to start try it again and still no start I can do this 3-4 times before it will start any ideas and help will be verry much appreciated. Also What is a FUEL HEATER/PRE-FILTER I just orderd one to replace it but what does it do could this be my problem? again thank you guys for any help

Old 11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

sounds like your having a problem with you fuel shut off solenoid. You can check the block heater and also the grid heater for continuity before you replace them. next time you warm it up put it in high idle by jaming some kind of rod between the seat and pedle, high idle should be around 900rpm common rails do this automaticly

Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Okay so my truck is not hitting a high idle at all. So where should I start on that one?. I'll do a test for continuity soon. And it sounds like I will be replacing a fuel shut off sooner than latter. Thanks for the info it is super helpful.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

your truck dosnt have a high idle idle its mechanical the onl way for a high idle is to jam something between the seat and peddle or a choke cable to the throttle linkage or ive seen a pretty nice set up with a servo mounted up to a on off switch then it has a momentary that controls how high or low the idle goes pretty ingenious if ya ask me

Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Okay so I understand putting a something to hold the peddle down is that for starting the truck and waqlking away to let it warm up? and is that for the lug lug when I first start it or should my idel be set higher? I still think I need to turn my idel up. Also if my Block heater was working right should I show a little warm on my temp when I turn the key over to wait to start or should it be ice cold?

Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 104 Likes on 101 Posts

the gauge will prolly read flat line at start up just quickly come off of it. get your multimeter out and see if the heater has an open circuit. this will tell you if its working. idle should be around 750. like stated above shut off solinoid sounds like it is going bad or binding making it hard to start sometimes. prolly why you have to cycle the key.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks!! All this info is greatly appreciated. Get this truck running right

Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

the high idle is just for warming it up. With the block heater pluged in you will not se a difference in engine temp on the gauge since it doesnt heat the block that much the water temp is still pretty cold

Old 11-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel shutoff solenoid is right below brake fluid resevor. It is on the side of your injection pump, there is two bolts holding it on. take the two bolts out and pull stright up. the plunger on bottom of solenoid it attached to a lever on your pump. just slide that off the lever. (may have to remove pin holding it on the lever. Then Try and start it, make sure the lever is up. To manually shut it off, push down on lever.

BUT it sounds like your Grid heater or block heater is not working.. on top on your intake horn, there is two wires running to it. check them for power, you can also pull intake horn off to make sure it is working.

If it is cold outside and your truck has been plugged in all night, your valve covers should feel warm.. the snow melts off my hood when my trucks plugged in.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I'm getting 00.7 ohms with the wires off. Across the heating eliminate grid. Then I checked the voltage to the grid and no show of voltage when I started my truck?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I'm getting 12v from the battery post + to each wire on the grid? Also how long is the grid heater on? and what is the function of the grid heater?

Last edited by Chad96Dodge; 11-13-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: wont start then will start