12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 Discussion of 12 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with P7100 Injection Pumps

A question for anyone that lives in cold weather

Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 76 Likes on 73 Posts

BADJUJU95, sounds like you had vacuum leaks...

Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i custom made me a thing out of plexiglass and i put it in front of the radiator support bars and so far it works great and i have 3 zip ties holding it in place so if its a warm day like 75 i take it out and it only takes 2 mins to put in or take out but its just a temp thing till i can order my winter front

Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

I have an alaskan tarp, that snaps in front if the radiator and I will run 190* at 60mph when its -10*f

Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I've run 190 at 60 when it's around zero, no block offs necessary. The problem is that it takes 45 minutes of driving for it to get up to that temp, and I'm shivering my ***** off until it does. I've never seen a vehicle take as long to warm up as this truck. My wife will start her Subaru in the morning when it's single digits out, put her seatbelt on and immediately pull out of the driveway. From walking out the door to driving down the road in less than two minutes, total. Before the house is out of site there's hot air blowing out of the vents.
Meanwhile, I let my truck warm up for a half hour and the temp needle doesn't even move. It's F***ing ridiculous. I've blocked of everything from some to all of the radiator, and it takes just as long to warm up. The only difference it makes is that it doesn't stop warming up, and the next thing I know it's over heating.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
I've run 190 at 60 when it's around zero, no block offs necessary. The problem is that it takes 45 minutes of driving for it to get up to that temp, and I'm shivering my ***** off until it does. I've never seen a vehicle take as long to warm up as this truck. My wife will start her Subaru in the morning when it's single digits out, put her seatbelt on and immediately pull out of the driveway. From walking out the door to driving down the road in less than two minutes, total. Before the house is out of site there's hot air blowing out of the vents.
Meanwhile, I let my truck warm up for a half hour and the temp needle doesn't even move. It's F***ing ridiculous. I've blocked of everything from some to all of the radiator, and it takes just as long to warm up. The only difference it makes is that it doesn't stop warming up, and the next thing I know it's over heating.
sounds like the clutch in the fan might not be working properly or it can be something in the cooling system or maybe needs a flush and if you had an engine block heater it would help some i mean plug it in at night and start the truck in the morning and unplug it ... at 9* my temp gauge will be at 140* with the block heater plugged in but it drops once the antifreeze goes thru the engine but im thinking about getting some heating tape and wrapping the radiator with it so i can have both plugged in so i can have some warm air when i need it but i dont know if t will work but its an idea

The following users liked this post:
RanchhandTCR (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Damn with my block heater, oil pan heater and my tarp after .25 miles down the road after a 5-10min warmup im aleady close to 190 degrees and its a suana in my truck..

Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Diesel Fan

mile will be like that i just need to experiment with some ideas

Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by Jamsee251
sounds like the clutch in the fan might not be working properly or it can be something in the cooling system or maybe needs a flush and if you had an engine block heater it would help some i mean plug it in at night and start the truck in the morning and unplug it
New fan clutch, new coolant, radiator, heater core, multiple thermostats. I plug the truck in every night if the temp is going to be below 40*, and it stays plugged in until I start it the next morning. If I don't plug it in it starts like crap, if it starts at all, but it still takes pretty much the same amount of time before it starts making heat.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Diesel Fan

clean your heater core put cardboard in the front it should heat up faster. Is ur block heater cord good ?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Diesel Bomber

Cord looks fine to me, I've followed it to the end. Cardboard made no difference in how fast it warmed up, just made it not stop warming up. Brand new Chrysler heater core made no difference, and the entire cooling system was changed at the same time, completely flushed. I don't think cleaning it again now is the solution. Then again, I can't find anything else wrong either...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A question for anyone that lives in cold weather