Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   head gasket (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/103718-head-gasket.html)

BADJUJU95 12V 10-14-2012 12:09 AM

head gasket

Ok fellas been dealing with this since I pulled it out the weeds but its finally gotten out of hand got it scheduled in to the dealer but that is 4 weeks out ( the soonest they could get me in ) other shops are backed up worse I do have a gasket kit in case I can't wait till then. this is my daily driver so my question is where would be a good place to get good clear pricise instructions on how to replace the head gasket complete with torque specs, valve lash, etc, thanks guys!

Hummin Cummins 10-14-2012 10:56 AM

You must be in the western side off the state. You might want to give mikes custom truck builders a call. They are out of Northwood ND.

You are going to put studs on right?

BADJUJU95 12V 10-14-2012 11:20 AM

Thank you and yes on both accounts been referred to a G and J diesel out of billings know a few guys who had theirs cummins worked on their and one who they are the only ones that touch his truck, but that is 3-4 hours away, and about the same back up, and yes to the studs got ARP's in the box I am more than capable of doing this myself but valve lash has always been my achilles heel I can screw up a valve job quicker then anybody I know. everything else is cake

Hummin Cummins 10-14-2012 07:22 PM

I ordered a set of twins for my 98, My plan was to wasgate at 40 for now and run it.

When I went to set the pump timeing (which I set at 17) I noticed my HG has a small external leak on #6 :argh:

So this winter I am doing HG with studs and springs, and thinking about a cam.

RanchhandTCR 10-14-2012 08:14 PM

I have ti for the 4BT, why dont you go buy a cheap book at napa it will give you the sequences for the head torque specks... But you need to check the head with a straight edge and a feeler guage or eyeball it.

BADJUJU95 12V 10-14-2012 10:08 PM

thank you I did manage to scrounge up an old chilton's that I had for the ole 90
1ton I had ( damn that was a truck) it's got the torque specs, seq, and valve lash in it up to a 96. everything done to it so far I have done myself and will probably try to do the rest just can't afford to take it in to a shop for everything, the thing that amazes me is I don't hear anyone talking about setting crack pressures, torque and power screws, do hear about timing now and then maybe I'm to out of date with all that!

RanchhandTCR 10-14-2012 10:25 PM

just put it in TDC before you start pulling the head off, and make sure you put things back where you got it on the truck!!!, and I would pull the injectors just in case you drop the head.... Which Im sure you wont do....

BADJUJU95 12V 10-17-2012 09:18 PM

AAARGH!!!!! :argh: OK not I feel like a complete moron I need to pick some brains as to the water pump on this thing I went through and retorqued the head which pretty well did away with the head gasket thing( yes that definatly has me worried already got a new head priced out and am afraid of what has been goin in there. however I am pissing fluid out the front of the engine on the front passenger side which is where the water pump is right? if so how big of a pain is that to switch out? it coming down the side from behind the cover on top of a/c comp then around front of pan then to ground I really starting to get a sinking feeling guys. didn't get as good as look as I wanted as it was dark and raining as I was trying to run it down so any input as a possible other than a busted block I open to

RanchhandTCR 10-17-2012 09:41 PM

Oh that sucker will be the easiest water pump you will ever change, just lossen the belt and then take the two 10mm bolts off tap the pulley with a hammer and wala!!! pull the o ring gasket out, put a new one in and put the new waterpump it and torque it down tight and then put the belt on... It likely the waterpump...

BADJUJU95 12V 10-21-2012 09:05 PM

OK fellas a big thank you to everyone who piped in I did get the waterpump changed this morning:jump: it was pretty easy once I got things out of the way so I could to it and yep that took care of the waterfall I had going on so again THANK YOU for the info

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

OK been fiddling with the engine and I know I need to upgrade the Tranny atleast a Torque converter and a valve body, been looking at Banks TC's but they are just to proud of them I am on a budget I know there has to be good Heavy duty TC's out there that I don't have to donate a kidney or sell my kid on the black market to afford. any info would be appreciated