Diesel Bombers

Diesel Bombers (https://www.dieselbombers.com/)
-   12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98 (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/)
-   -   97 Cummins fuel system troubles. (https://www.dieselbombers.com/12-valve-2nd-gen-dodge-cummins-94-98/101633-97-cummins-fuel-system-troubles.html)

GaryB 09-02-2012 09:11 PM

97 Cummins fuel system troubles.

So, two months ago, I pulled into blockbuster to drop off some movies. Truck was purring along as always. Shut it off, took care off business, and went to start it up, and Nothing. made sure I had fuel, checked fuel pump fuses, and nothing out of the ordinary. Had it towed to the dealer. They said, well your fuel shut off solenoid has come apart, and your injector pump has internaly failed. $4000.00 repair. Well, I had them tow it back to the house because they did not prove to me that that was the problem. Figured they just went for the most expensive repair. After looking it over, the fuel shut off solenoid had failed. They were correct about that. However, looking closer, I discovered no fuel in the fuel filter. so I swapped out the fuel lift pump. In doing that I noticed there was no fuel in the line from the tank going to the lift pump. Then I thought to myself, makes since that it might be the electric fuel pump in the tank. So I am pulling the tank to swap out that pump. My gut tells me it is electrical because it didn't sputter or run rough, it just wouldn't start after shutting it off. I will swap out the electric pump in the tank and see if I can get fuel to the filter, and then I should be able to bleed the lines and get fuel to the injector pump. In the process of taking the tank out, the fuel and return lines were damaged do to heavy rust and corrision. Those line appear to be short extensions from the steel lines on the frame. Are those fairly easy to find and replace??Any Ideas or input is greatly appriciated. I am pushing 300,000 miles on this truck. has been the best truck I have ever owned. But she is getting tired, and I think it is time to put her in the driveway and find another commute truck. Do want to keep her running though! Thanks for any help. GaryB

sweetv8s10 09-02-2012 09:53 PM

It dont have an electric fuel pump just the manual lift pump on the side of the block.

GaryB 09-02-2012 10:09 PM

Ya, I thought that too. But it does have an electric pump. I dropped the tank today and was looking right at it....

Deeres&Dodges 09-03-2012 09:20 AM

I was under the assumption that there was no electic pump in the tank as well. I don't understand. :humm: Do you have a picture? How long have you had the truck? Is it possible that someone has added an electric fuel pump to "fix" a lift pump problem? The fuel lines are easily replaced and are available at NAPA.

mysterync 09-03-2012 09:39 AM

There's no provision for a electric pump unless it was a gas burner at one point or wired up with relays.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

sweetv8s10 09-03-2012 11:34 AM

Can u post some pics?

tiremann9669 09-03-2012 01:31 PM

:humm::pca1::c:

ricet07 09-04-2012 09:02 AM

My 97 had one too, puzzled the heck outta me but all of that stuff is gone now and replaced with airdog and draw straw so I can't take pics.

gunslingerburkhart 09-04-2012 04:55 PM

:humm:

sweetv8s10 09-05-2012 12:13 AM

I am really confused.:humm: