Originally Posted by bradenreed
I am considering buying a Chevy 2500 Reg. Cab Long box 4x4. Its a 1998 model with the 6.5L TurboDiesel. I have a few questions about these trucks and I hope you can answer them:
1. I am aware that they aren't to quick... what do you think I would have to do to get an 8 Second 0-60 time out of it??
Put a Cummins in it...
2. What MPGs are you getting with them?
Real world or BS ? 16 is a good number if you drive like most of us.
3. How would this truck do pulling trailers that are about 4000 to 6500 Lbs.?
Should be no problem. Clean the **** out of the Radiator and coolers
4. I live in WI where winters get BELOW 10 Degrees F. What can I do to make starting it easier in the winter?
Plug it in.
5. What are some Pros and Cons of these and how long can I expect it to last?Will answer that below.
Any response is appreciated!
Pros and cons.
Cheap to buy
Cheap to fix
easy to work on
Parts are cheap and readily available
It is a light duty diesel.
It is NOT a Cummins,Duramax or Powerstroke.
If that kind of performance is what you want, you will be dissapointed.
These engine are limited to performance improvements and they are very costly compared to the results.
They run hot when towing. Things can be done to help but If you push a 6.5, it will push back.
They don't have much resale value.
You need to be able to work on it yourself because few shops can. That includes the dealer.
A 93 with an NV4500 is the best combo. 98 Not a bad year. Better cooling system.