6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 2013+ Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with DOC&DPF

Considering a 4th gen- educate me

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Considering a 4th gen- educate me

Hey guys, new member here coming from duramaxforum. Wanted to join as you guys are a multi brand forum and this seems to be a good place to gather a lot of different opinions. I have a 2011 chevy LML right now, efi live tuned, deleted, straight piped, lights, lift, rims and tires, all that good stuff. Overall i love the truck and have always been a GM guy with the exception of my first truck. As much as i love my truck, there a few things that i hate about it, and they haven't been changed by GM since the release of the new body style. That being said, i catch myself drooling over 4th gens more and more each day. I have 3 years of payments left on my current truck, and when its paid for I'm highly considering making the switch to a cummins. Here are the things i hate about my dmax

1) IFS suspension- rides like a bag of bricks and makes levelling pointless. Untrustworthy system if you ask me

2) lack of straight axle front end due to the IFS set up- its a truck, it should have a straight axle front end. period

3) Gm designs the frame to hang way below the body, along with torsion bars. looks hideous and they really dropped the ball on frame coatings, they all look like they're 20 years old within the first 3 months

4) square wheel well design- looks aren't so bad but wheel/tire combos are a night mare. 20x12's levelled should be an option on ANY truck

5) Plumbing under the hood- engine is burried, increasing difficulty when wanting to work on it and raising overall cost. V8 vs i6... well theres just more moving parts, more chance of failure blah blah

6) cab space... I'm 6'3 with a growing family. Anybody who's ever had the unfortunate expierience of riding in the backseat of a GM can feel my pain here. They corrected this with the 15'+ trucks, but i would really like the comfort of a 4th gen mega cab

Now, I'm wondering if some of you cummins guys could chime in and give me the run down on your 4th gens trucks. What do you hate about them? what would you change? Is there anything i need to be aware of? I'm well educated on tranny issues, studs and gaskets, and the problematic dodge front end. My truck is my daily driver, gets driven light, and the heaviest load it gets subjected to is a light camper/sled trailer. My plans for the truck would be efi live probably 60-90 hp tunes, straight pipe and full deletes, a small lift and a wheel package. I'm used to paying for front end parts as i have built the front end on my LML and would do the same with this 4th gen for reliability.Everything else would be cosmetic. I really appreciate your guyses input, any and all advice is appreciated!

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (05-05-2016)
Old 12-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

After you do the deletes you should be good to go. All the EPA stuff is what holds these engines back. You should know owning the diesel. Last year I drove a new 4wd Chevy 2500. Thought it rode as smooth as glass, Guess that's why I didn't like it.

The following users liked this post:
Jet A Fuel (05-05-2016)