6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

My 2011 3500 Cummins randomly goes into limp mode...please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2011 3500 Cummins randomly goes into limp mode...please help

Hello all,
I was wondering if I could please get input about my truck randomly going into limp mode. Before, my CCV filter was causing this, so last July 2014, I deleted it and had the heater hose routed to the front right of my engine where little bits of oil would drip out instead of going back into my intake. This had gotten rid of the limp mode until a couple of weeks ago where it popped up again. Like before, it would go into limp mode when I start my truck and I can tell when it will because the engine sounds different. All I do is I cut off my truck and then restart it, and this usually gets rid of the limp mode and I can drive my truck normally (sometimes I would need to cut off and restart my truck a couple of times to get it out of limp mode). Also, no error codes pop up when it goes into limp mode, so I'm not sure what is going on. I do have an Edge Evolution tuner installed in my truck and run it at economy mode....I don't overly run my truck like I'm wanting to race, but just run it normally. Any input and help with this would be greatly appreciated so that I might be able to get rid of this nuisance limp mode.
Thank you.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When the truck goes into Limp more are you getting any codes to pop up? That will help diagnose why this keeps happening.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Diesel Fan

No, no codes pop up. It just randomly goes into limp mode when I start my truck (not every time). But, when I cut my truck off and start it up again, it runs fine. This morning it started up fine without going into limp mode. This is random and I'm not sure why it does this with no error codes. My friend thought maybe the fuel filter needed to be changed, but I don't know. I'm going to try the fuel filter change and see what happens.
Thank you.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:26 PM
FormerVendor
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The truck goes in to a "limp mode" or just looses power? first thing i would do is change fuel filter if it has not been done yet. From there i would scan the truck just to double check there isn't a code being thrown. Have you tried to disconnect the EDGE tuner?

Are you emission deleted? or still have the DPF on the truck?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Diesel Fan

I think it's limp mode, although, it has no power when the accelerator is pressed down. It does kind of surge, though, when it's doing this. The fuel filter hasn't been changed for about 7,000 miles, so I'm going to do that. I haven't tried disconneting the Edge, yet, however, the first time it did the "limp mode" the Edge had not been installed...this was where I deleted my CCV filter. I still have the stock emissions on my truck including the DPF.
Thank you.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:05 AM
Diesel Fan

Also, it had not gone into limp mode or lose power for the past couple of days now (knock on wood), so I don't know if it just quit going into the limp mode now. But, I'm still going to change the fuel filter.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:57 PM
Diesel Fan

I just wanted to follow up on this and let everyone know that it did go back into a couple of times with no error codes thrown. However, since changing both the fuel filter and air filter, it has stopped going into limp mode. The fuel filter hadn't been changed for about 10k miles and the air filter was extremely dirty. I believe one or both of these solved my problem. Thank you for responding and providing inputs and suggestions.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

If you live in a dusty area or work the truck hard, its a good idea to do this service more regularly. Im sure you will notice an increase in fuel mileage. Cheers