6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins 07.5-12 Discussion of 6.7 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels

A little help making a good decision...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A little help making a good decision...

I am not new to diesels and have been around them my whole life, with my dad building semis and my uncle owning a dump truck buisiness it seemed to just be natural to own a diesel p/u... After playing around with the "silly little gas vehicles" for awhile I bought my 1st 02 Dodge Cummins it was a extended cab long bed SLT 4wd auto, in 2004 after all the family pressures I decided to hop it up a bit and built the tranny with kevlar bands billet input and output shafts, 125hp injectors, juice with additude programmer with the hot unlock, mag hytec front and rear diff covers and tranny pan, air dog fuel/air seperator cold air intake full 4" exhaust turbo back, and a smaller turbo to spool up faster, This truck was my baby and I treated it so! in 2008 we sold our travel trailer and our quads and so I decided I didn't need the truck anymore and I sold it for a very pretty penny with only 39K miles on it the new owner was extremely happy, I remember watching that truck pull out of my credit union parking lot and my wife turned to me and said you regret selling it don't you? Words couldn't describe it!! I bought a little 1/2 ton dodge ram 2wd std cab short bed and lowered it but within 12 months I needed another real truck so I decided to look for what I wanted and that was a 2001.5-2002 std cab longbed 4wd cummins 6spd nothing came around that was worth anything so in 2010 I ran into a 2005 std cab LB SLT 4wd and I sold the little 1/2 ton and picked up my new truck it had 42K on it and I put a 6" lift, 35" Toyo's, 6" custom cold air intake and full 4" exhaust, I decided not to go radical with this one as it would be my daily driver, then we decided to get a couple sideXsides (Yamaha Rhino and a Polaris RZR-s) in purchasing these we now needed something to haul the whole family again So last year in February I bought a 2012 Dodge RAM 2500 Crew cab Long Bed Laramie I love the truck but HATED the fuel mileage!!! At first I saw 13.7 mpg avg FWY and in traffic then I bought a 6" custom cold air intake and started seeing 14.2 mpg this is all calculated mileage not taken from the lie-O-meter!!! All though the lie-O-meter was pretty close (+6 mpg off) I bought the Smarty jr. and started seeing 14.9-15.7mpg (calculated) now I did all the deletes and calculated I am getting on avg 18.83 mpg and am very happy, This is where my questions come in...

Questions:

Since doing the deletes the "De-fueling" program is very noticeable!!! I am not too worried about racing people as those days have come and gone I am concerened for when I pass people and the truck gets to the right RPM that the de-fueling program takes over and hinders my ability to pass!!! I could end up in a head on collision!!! This I can see as a huge drawback to dodge as I would rather waiste a tranny and save a life then vice-versa!!! I think in the future we might see a case about this...de-fueling issue I obviously don't worry about the warranty because I did the deletes which voided the warranty, just curious as to what Dodge was thinking when they built this into their programming and is there anyway to take it out without ruining my program for my deletes??

Also I did the 2.5" leveling kit from Bent Steel I am trying to decide with going 35" tall tires on the stock wheels or going with a 6" lift and installing 22.5 Semi wheels with the aggressive drive axle tires I was thinking about this as they will get longer wear life out of the tire and the wheels are capable of handleing my Camper and my excavator so as not to worry of cracking a wheel while moving down the road... I am really interested in hearing your opinions on these two questions. and Thank you very much for your time!!! If you also have a set up like this if you don't mind posting a pic as I am curious as to what it would look like too...
I'd like to say GOD BLESS to our service men and women (present, past, retired and deceased) without you what small rights we do have left we have because of you without you... there would be none!!!