5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Low speed surge

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low speed surge

Hello everyone, I've started noticing a low speed surge seems around 2nd gear around 25-30 mph. I've talked to a couple people about this and they all say it's pretty normal. I was just wondering if anyone has found a cure for this. Please let me know any insight you may have. Thank you
I haven't update my sig yet, little info on the truck
Intake tube baffles removed, straight pipe with cat still in, diablo predator performance tune. Truck has 98k miles. Auto trans (factory)

Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Define surge....? Shuttle Shift, Rev & No-Go, feels like it jerks bck and then fwd a gear? Stock Dodge Tran often times isn't the problem, its in the sending signals. Shift enhancer may help.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan

In low speeds around 10-25 mph after shifting in to second. It's hard to tell but feels like its either searching for second or cant get second to apply fully. I was thinking governed pressure switch and transducer? Any thoughts? Also if anyone agrees do you know of an upgrade for those switches that can be done? Thanks

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Diesel Fan

This is commonly refereed to as Shuttle-Shift or 1-2-1-2. Even with a Goerend, the sending signals can get messed up and this happens. The occurrence tends to be somewhat predictable for the most part, as commonly when no load or very light load, light to moderate acceleration. Below is apic of two different ones (in amongst a my growing collection of tuners and whatnot).

https://www.dieselbombers.com/attach...1&d=1339467793

Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Diesel Fan

Shift Enhancer is the small silver box with 3 buttons/LED indicators for Daily, Towing, and Performance, the rectangular module is TS Performance Shift Master that works similar with a dial instead of buttons. I have found this to work great, and depending on the HP/Tq of each different program our tune you're running, it completely eliminates the issue you're describing. They with by decreasing it increasing the parameters of shifting, and prevents the Shuttle-Shift or hesitation which tend to worsen with increased tuning. It's very irritating and makes others at stop light think you have a stick shift and missed a gear

Attached Thumbnails Low speed surge-shift-enhancer-ts-shift-master.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jshblain (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok sounds good looks like that's the rout I'm gunna go. Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Diesel Fan

You're welcome.
If you have doubts as to condition of transmission, it's cheaper to get it checked out (I have never had any problems and top notch Customer Service with Goerend, Dave will lend advice, and not everyone needs a FB triple disc).
It's a matter of certain peoples'opinion that the Shift enhancers cover up future problems, and anyone changing their Torque Management needs this, but we all know how our stock trannies work out when we start maximizing the potentials that our engines have, and we all have to pay to play.
I would look for a used one, it'll do the same thing. If you need, I have 2 different ones, and have a bunch of stuff, that I need to get rid of, I have a used one Shift Enhancer or a NIB TS Shift Master.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Message me on what you want to get rid of and how much including shipping to 34120.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

might want to check out the fca. iv heard it causes surging

Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Diesel Fan

What is the fca?

Quick Reply: Low speed surge