5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Axle Replacement

Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Replacement

I have 167000 miles on my 06 4x4 Crew Cab with an 8' box, and needed u joints on it. Last summer, we bent the u-joint bushing out of round so that it was no longer a pressed fit, on accident. I made it about a year before I started to throw caps. So I got to looking around for axles. Contrary to what you will find for the most part, you don't have to go through Mopar. After looking around, Randys Ring and Pinion has entire assemblies, stub axle, u-joint and drive axle for roughly $300 from Yukon Axles.

Now, when I was installing the axle, it hung up on me. I couldn't get it to slide all of the way in. When I pulled it out, there was part of a plastic seal on it. Now, a week later and maybe 200 miles, I am hearing a knocking sound similar to a u-joint going out. I checked, not what it is. I'll be changing my diff' fluid this coming Tuesday and am wondering what that seal is, and if I can replace it from the differential side. There's no way that I know to change it from the axle side.

Also, once I do the other axle and ball joints, I'll post pictures and procedures. I have found a couple of neat tricks on removing the hubs because I went through all sorts of hell pulling them off the first time. Including a 40lb slide hammer. I started to rip the bearings out instead of the hub....

Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah you have to pull the ring and pinion to replace the inner seal. Best way to remove the hub is to loosen the bolts, then put the socket back on one with an extension then wedge the extension against the axle housing then start the truck and turn the wheel to press it out. Snapon also makes a rod for it so you dont have to use an extension and socket.

DHP1, Adaptor, Removal, Wheel Hub, Dodge

Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Yeap, doesn't always work. Sometimes it takes a little more persuasion. When you bottom out your power steering pump and are on the verge of blowing lines up, you have to add vibration from a BFH to the equation. Mine were so stuck that I couldn't turn the steering wheel anymore and it still wasn't budging. They were bad. We even heated them. Nothing.

We wound up buying some bolts to use so I didn't eff up the hub bolts. Used the power steering pump on the top using a BFH to hit the hub assembly to add vibration to help free things up. Then took two BFHs and put bolts in the bottom. One BFH against the bolt, then use second BFH to hit the first.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never ran into one that bad. Probably done over a dozen of them up here in iowa where we love salty roads.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Yes, we enjoy the salt here in Michigan as well. I think some of it was the use I put my truck through. I did a lo of driving through the woods hualing wood, pulling a 4 horse strait load trailer and so on.