5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Vibration Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration Noise?

I have an 05 cummins and recently had the clutch replaced from factory to south bend dual disk. Everything works great but I have noticed a vibration and some noise bit only intermittently. I haven't had a chance to take it to the shop because, like I said, it only happens at times and when it rains, it completely quits. I have had two suggestions as to what it is which was throw out bearing or flywheel. Need suggestions as to what it might be...

Old 04-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Does it feel like a "wobble" when you depress the pedal?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No vibration during that time just when at a set highway speed. No vibration during acceleration either. Once the noise begins it continues for a bit. I just got home from driving it to see if it would do it again and of course it didn't so I can't take it to the shop. No vibration today I guess but it will be back when I can't get it to the shop.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Diesel Wrench

High speed vibration? Ever have the rear drive shaft u-joints replaced?? The AAM joints tend to seize more than become floppy loose...they start squeaking, then start vibrating as they get worse. Mine were so tight they wouldn't flex by hand when I removed the shaft...

The only thing that puzzles me is that I would have expected someone to notice a stiff joint when you had the clutch replaced as they got to pull both drive shafts.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a vibration that starts around 50 mph, from your post above ^^ ^ I'm guessing it's the u-joints. What does AAM mean, and is there any reason a regular DIY guy can't replace these joints? Thanks, sorry for the tangent on the thread.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Diesel Wrench

AAM is American Axle Manufacturing...people who made the differentials...

Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AAM American Axle Manufactering, I have not replaced drive shaft u-joints on my truck yet but don't see y not, a par of pliers and a hammer should do just fine

Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got under my truck this weekend I found the rear-most u-joint was toast. Time to replace that, I'm hoping that will get rid of the vibration. OP, have you gone underneath and checked out your u-joints?

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id also recomend to give the carrier bearing a glance and see the condition of that, mine is shot and vibrates like a some bitch wen ever it wants then smooth at other times,

Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
IT'S A GIRL!
Received 158 Likes on 139 Posts

check your tires too .. a vibration can also mean a seperating tire....... specially the 20' wheels which suck *** for our highway up here.. I swore it was a wheelbearing on the passenger side, and i get it checked out. sure enough wires sticking out of my drivers side front tire..so u never know......

Quick Reply: Vibration Noise?