5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

05 Dodge 48re Tranny

Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 Dodge 48re Tranny

I have rebuilt my tranny with stock parts when i first purchased the truck a year ago everything went well... (First time ever looking or thinking of opening up a transmission) I Couldn't believe that i rebuilt it with just paying attention to all the details. I put a BD Performance valve body in it and had no trouble... I didn't however use the silenoid spring that came with it. Put 15000 miles on it and decided to get a Diablo Trinity 1000. I was very impressed with the power the truck had. 4000 miles later i lost first gear and essentially the rest. I rebuilt the tranny again but this time i went with stage 3 clutches and the new band that came with it. Along with these parts i bought a banks triple billet converter and a new governor pressure silenoid. I also read the directions that came with the valve body and put the spring in and did my band adjustments just as it said to.

My problem now is before i adjusted my bands the tranny would run hot 185 in less than a mile and would keep rising. So i did the band adjustments thinking because of them my clutches were slipping, and now i have a good solid first gear and a shift into second gear but after a second the my rear band (in the pan) locks and slows the truck right down. I did Both band adjustments again and i still have the problem any Suggestion??? this thing and my stubborn do it myself attitude has me for around 4500 and i dont want to be in for more if something else goes wrong.

The following users liked this post:
stuck67 (06-04-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Loosen your front band a 1/2 turn and see what that feels like! Sounds like the band is to tight!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:48 PM

thanks speedy reply.

I have taken off my pan and the rear band was still applied... the silenoid was backed off, so i pulled on the band until it came snapped back into place. I loosened it a half a turn just to be sure i was off with my adjustment and my reverse slips, but i have a solid shift into second gear and it still slowed down but it took a little bit longer. Im goin to turn it back in and make sure that it is free moving with an air test... It somehow got caught and stayed locked down.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

ok i torqued the bands again and im still having the same problem. I tried loosening the front band 5 different times half a turn every time. I then turned it in until i thout it was a good spot. my reverse gear was slipping worse and worse everytime i adjusted the front band out and now i have no reverse gear and the i have no problem moving through all the gears the tranny is still running hot it got to 210 and i shut it down. Is my second band now gone and slipping so bad that it can no longer grab and slow the truck down? I know that the reverse gear uses the overdrive clutch pack and ive got it. Any other idea about the tranny running so warm?

Last edited by Cumminspower05; 04-22-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Bands are set according to torque not I think that's right. Take it to a experienced trans shop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts

The rear band servo is likely jamming in the bore and not releasing. Rebuild should include replacement of front servo, rear servo, and accumulator with billet pieces with better seals.

If your lucky it hasn't scored the servo barrel you disassemble the trans and replace it.

Only reverse and manual first require the rear band applied. Reverse requires the front and rear band applied together. If you have loosened the front band beyond the required adjustment it is slipping. The front band is not the problem and will not cause a bind up on a 2-3 shift, that is the fornt band and direct clutch pack not timed correctly.

Reverse does use anything in the OD that the other gears need also. The only difference between reverse and forward gears is the OD direct clutch pack must work for reverse. The forward gears will work with the sprag clutch but not for long.

Last edited by cerberus60; 04-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Every gear beyond 1st binds. When i took pan off first time the band was stuck the servo was released. I may have caused this because in the process of this trial and error i grabbed another in/lbs torque wrench and the one i was using was off by a little over and inch lb if the other was right on. Anyway thanks for the input ill give this a try. Putting an air gun up to the set screw hole on the side of the tranny would be able to tell me weather the bore is worn or scratched correct?

Last edited by Cumminspower05; 04-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

I think there's a little more than a servo issue but if the bore or the seal is leaking you would find it with air yes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-13-2014, 02:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What did u finally do to get this taken care of? Know this is old but was just dropped and never closed out so curious.