5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

HOW DO YOU ADJUST MANUAL WASTEGATE

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW DO YOU ADJUST MANUAL WASTEGATE

Hello all, I just put a manual wastegate on my 05 Ram with the 5.9, and I am really not certain how to adjust this. Can anyone help me out? If I adjust he allen screw in should that increase or decrease the boost? I have been messing with it all day and I really do not know. I really do not get the concept. If I am just controlling the air from my turbo to the actuator, and it is all based off of pressure, wouldn't it be the same as far as pressure goes if it was open a little or alot? I just saw some other posts about just kinking off the hose between the boost elbow and the waste gate, but that doesn't make sense to me either. How would the waste gate open? Is the way I am thinking the flow of air/ pressure is going backwards? Please help

Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you put a manual wastegate before the stock turbo? If so, why? Why not use the wastegate on the stock turbo? Do you have an aftermarket turbo on there? I would need to see how you have the gate plumbed.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like a boost reference mod to me...

Old 03-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had the P0243 error which was my wastegate solenoid. I looked into geting it replaced and I was told it was $690.0 installed (1/2 labor) this was more than I had to spend so I bought and aluminum hex bushing for way too much, a boost elbow, and wastegate fooler, for around $100.00. The turbo is stock, I do have the smarty JR, and gauges which I just bought in this same time frame. My friend told me the boost elbow should have a spring and ball or something similar inside so as pressure builds it will release. The one I bought is not set up this way, and the others that I have looked at do not appear to be set up this way. I guess I just do not understand how it works and was hopin for some clarification. I usually have a pretty good idea of how things work, but I think I have gone off the deep end.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

So what is sounds like, is you have the stock turbo, it threw a code. You bypassed the solenoid. Now you have the plug, and a boost elbow going to the wastegate actuator on the stock turbo.

You are wondering how the boost elbow works with the stock wastegate?

Which boost elbow did you get? Which plug did you get?

Are you not making boost? Not enough boost? Do you have a boost gauge?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If he didn't get the deal to plug into the factory wiring, or kept the factory solenoid plugged in (while defeated), its going to throw codes all day long.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Screw it in to raise boost, out to decrease. It works as an adjustable orfice, not a regulator (ball and spring) $100 for a fooler, plug and boost elbow isn't a bad deal. Foolers average $70, seen the plugs for $50 and elbows are rarely below $25, you will need the jumper to eliminate your faulty solenoid as stated otherwise codes will continue to be thrown. since it is adjustable and not a predetermined orfice I assume it's able to be screwed in completely to block off the flow to your wastegate, which defeats the purpose of the other mods. Use your boost gauge and set it where you'd like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk