5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Cab swap question... Quad to regular

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab swap question... Quad to regular

I've done some searching and found a few threads where someone converted a long bed to a short bed, but haven't seen anything related to doing a cab swap. I'm about to close on a condo with a short driveway and a 1 car garage. My 2005 quad cab is simply too much truck (I also sold my travel trailer I was pulling with it), so I'm faced with replacing it with something smaller. Additionally, I'm starting a new job and will be doing more city driving, and would really like something a bit shorter and more maneuverable.
That being said, a reg cab short bed would fit my needs much better, but I really don't want to give up my diesel. How fesable is a quad-cab to regular cab swap? I'm wondering how messy the wiring aspect of this project would be. Any guesstimates on what a frame shop would charge for the necessary frame modification? I don't have the time, place, or tools for such a project, but I think a regular cab short bed 2500 CTD would be pretty cool.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 143 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd just sell the truck and buy something else no since in wasting the time or money if you don't have time or tools for yourself to do it. Just my .02

Strokin' Away

Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Sadly, you're probably on target with that advice stroker. It would still be a questionable project even if I had the time, place, and tools to do it.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:48 PM

Or sell the truck, buy a reg cab short bed and do an engine swap

Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

im with diesel noob. keep ur truck buy a cheapish reg cab short box and do find somebody to help with the swap. if ur from lexington. ky theres lots of ppl up there i no i could set ya up with to help. im sure i could find somebody.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You would be better off selling it and getting a short bed single cab if that is what you want.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

bftrain. then he wont get to have his diesel. nobody (dodge chevy or ford) made a singlecab short bed diesel. atleast not in the last 10-15yrs.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In that case it would be easier, cheaper and quicker to shorten a regular cab. Find a cab and chassis with no bed already or a flat bed or a long bed. Remove bed if it has one and sell it. Buy a short bed to put on it and shorten the frame. Time and money saved I would assume a lot. Especially since quads fetch more on the resale.

Or get a TDI Volkswagen and have a tiny diesel that is much more city friendly.

Or get any little car/motorcycle/scooter for a commuter and keep the truck for fun.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 143 Likes on 125 Posts

Yeah but he stated he doesnt have resources to do himself, so a body shop bill will get pretty big I'd imagine.

Strokin' Away

Old 03-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

that does make sense however i would think a transplant would be easier and less spendy. homegrown. its all really on what u have the cash and time for. if u got a few buddies get together in a shop and start workin... take a week or 2 maybe longer.

Quick Reply: Cab swap question... Quad to regular