5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Injector Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Problem?

Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 HO with about 145000 miles on it.

I was getting some smoke and the power when towing was starting to deminish. The dealer tested everything (so they say) and concluded that the #4 and #6 injectors were bad. So we replaced them.

I replaced the #5 injector, the lift pump and the transfer pump a year ago.

The problems remained. Still a bit of smoke (moreso when cold) and just not as powerful as it once was. Back to the dealership...

They tested the injectors today and said that they (combined) were pushing 240ml of fuel (?) but that replacement is recommended at 250ml, where normal is 300ml. They said that the four remaining old injectors are not throwing any codes, but that doesn't always mean they are OK. This is all greek to me so I don't know if their feeding me a line of crap or not.

Now the dealer wants to take out all of the injectors and send them off to be cleaned & tested for $600. Option B is to just replace the remaining 4 injectors with remans at $475/each ($1900).

Guys, I'm not a mechanic and a lot of this is unfamiliar territory for me. What should the real value be for all the injectors to deliver fuel? Is it 300ml? Is that per second, per minute? What does it mean?

Is cleaning them worth it? Could it really solve a problem? If they test them after they clean them and they fail, I'm still looking at new injectors.

I've seen online where you can send your injectors and they will rebuild them for you and send them back? Is that a viable option? What about ordering reman injectors online... smart or not? I have two "new" injectors already so I would only need four done.

What are the chances that "sluggish" performance, especially towing, would be related to an injector problem?

They claim they've tested "everything." Turbo is ok. All sensors are ok (ie. no codes). At this point, the truck is not throwing any codes at all.

If anyone has any ideas, insight or something I should ask the dealer to check, please let me know.

Thanks to you all in advance,
-Michael