5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

CP3's

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CP3's

Hey guys, I'm needing some info on the cp3 pumps. One of my buddies is wanting to get some power out of his 03 cummins. He has a diablo tunner and swears up and down he needs a bigger cp3. I dont see it needing one. He just keeps going on about this and his only been in the diesel world a month , so i figure its time to show him what real diesel enthusiasts know. Any info wold be great guys and thanks

Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

I'd say he needs a better lift pump before worrying about a CP3 that can flow more fuel. Bigger CP3 isnt going to flow more if it doesn't have adequate fuel supplied to it in the first place. Plus most guys stack programmers on a stock CP3. Realistically; he needs something to monitor his rail pressure and fuel pressure into the CP3. That's the only way to know if he needs to upgrade anything. Plus I assume with stock injectors it isn't that likely for him to pull rail pressure down if the CP3 is properly supplied with fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Diesel Fan

He says he has a 100ghp under it. When he goes out on the road and gets on it, to me, it sounds kinda like its running out of fuel, or dropping rail pressure. Could this also be timing? He said it only does this on the hot unlocked tune. And like you said, there isn't any good way to tell unless you have a set of gauges to read the pressures, but this guy is just so damn stupid when it come to things like this. All the guys around here tell him the same thing, but he almost set on a larger cp3. Also which would be cheaper? Dual stock cp3s or an 85% over stock cp3( the one he is saying he needs)

Old 03-10-2012, 04:40 PM
D45
Diesel Fan

Contact Todd at T&C Diesel for a great CP3

I have an 85% from II and it works well

Old 03-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Low rail pressure will lead to "rail pop" sounds exactly like a backfire... But that can happen on a stock engine with a restricted fuel filter. Let him blow his money on an upgraded cp3 and still have the same problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk