5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Security issue? Im Baffled

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security issue? Im Baffled

ok.. so ive narrowed it down to a security issue... went out to start my truck today and i heard a funny clicking noise and a blinking red light... im posting a video along with this so you can see what the truck is doing. But after you watch the video, sometimes it will get out of retard mode and be like im just now turning on the key( fuel pump starts running glow plug light comes on and goes off after a few seconds, and gauges are working and ect). But as soon as i try to start it everything stops and it doesnt even crank and goes back to retard mode. I also tried to unhook booth batterys for a few hours and that didnt clear it. Tried pulling a fuze from under the hood, that didnt work. im out of ideas if this has happened to anyone, help is greatly appreciated guess im driving my TDI to work tommorrow

Old 02-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when i 1st installed a set of gauges in an old 3rd gen i had, i ran
a dual steering pod and ran the wiring through the top of the
column. well, i got all the plumbing done, went to start it, and
the truck did NOTHING, and kind of acted like your describing.
i couldnt figure it out, so took it to my local dealer, and they
said that i knocked one of the security wires loose that connects
to the ignition. they had it fixed within 45 minutes. i could still
get it rolling, dump the clutch and it would start. not sure if your
is the same.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Do you have one of these key fobs?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Diesel Fan

Its parked on a hill elephant rider...and i have to back up... and im afraid to dump the clutch because of the way it does this in the video... sometimes it will get out of retard mode and my fuel pump can run... maybe if i do dump the clutch idk? weird thing is it turns on my lights on top of the cab and my parking lights? but it doesnt honk. and wild bill i have the normal stock key ( no buttons and the original) and i have a remote to lock and unlock, but with all these shenanigans... and whats going on the remote wont do a thing

Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieotto2
Its parked on a hill elephant rider...and i have to back up... and im afraid to dump the clutch because of the way it does this in the video... sometimes it will get out of retard mode and my fuel pump can run... maybe if i do dump the clutch idk? weird thing is it turns on my lights on top of the cab and my parking lights? but it doesnt honk. and wild bill i have the normal stock key ( no buttons and the original) and i have a remote to lock and unlock, but with all these shenanigans... and whats going on the remote wont do a thing
Not too knowledgable with the chips in keys; but it almost sounds like you have a key that was cut on a non-chipped key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Nvm I don't believe the 03's were chipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

you might need the ecu reflashed. or your key is messing up. you have a working spare?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Diesel Fan

S10driver85, no i dont have a spare... the one i have is the original and has the dodge ram logo on it... and the thing is if i get my ecu reflashed can i just take my ecu to dodge or do i have to take the whole truck? because i live 50 miles or so from a dodge dealership and tow trucks arent cheap I was told that if i unplug and plug this unit in my steering column it will clear out the security issue, but the problem is i have no clue what unit to mess with and i dont want to screw anything up by not being knowledgeable on the subject