5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Engine cutting out, similar to a rev limiter, but low RPM's & high-rapid EGT Spikes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cutting out, similar to a rev limiter, but low RPM's & high-rapid EGT Spikes.

This problem happened once about a week ago. But today I can't even merge onto the freeway.

If I go past 1/4 throttle (at any speed) my EGT's spike from 7-800 (where they sit normally) to 1200-1300 almost as fast asthe tachometer. Within 2 seconds the engine cuts out and I loose everything (no throttle response at all, like a rev limiter) for about 2 seconds and then it will kick back on for about 1 second and cut out again. (If I dont move my foot off the gas pedal). And when it cuts out I hear a fairly loud and distinct hissing/spinning noise.

From a stop it takes forever to get up to speed, but it will eventually get there, it cuts out on acceleration or throttle position. From a stop it will cut about at as low as 1600 rpm, depending on how much I am pushing the throttle. I took it on the freeway and after over a half mile got it to 70mph, and the rpms were about 1900 but as soon as I pushed past 1/4 throttle is cuts out.

The only way to stop it is to let off the throttle completely for about 2 seconds (let the EGTs come down) and then I can drive it down the road, but only by barely touching the gas pedal.
I have been reading for hours and can't seem to find any other posts with these symptoms.

I have no boost gauge (stupid, since it's a Laramie, you'd think a boost gauge would be more important than a power slider rear window) so I have no idea what psi I am running.

All of the clamps from turbo to intercooler & back to intake appear to be plenty tight.
Is there any boost while idling? I can hear a very faint hissing while idling. (no clue if its related)
No check engine lights.

This happens on Tow/Economy or Stock/No tune setting.
The fuel filter was replaced in late November about 1500 miles ago & has been running good until today.
And when it cuts out I hear a hissing/spinning noise.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. I have an 06 also. How many miles on your rig?? There is no boost at idle as it operates as normally aspirated until you accelerate and create enough exhaust flow/ velocity to spin the turbo to make boost. Right off the top of my head I would say a possible turbo issue, or major boost leak somewhere. Any large amounts of black smoke when accelerating? Check yur turbo and make sure its ok. Check the boots to your boost pipes and make sure they arent torn/ ruptured. Try removing your programmer entirely and see what happens. Hopefully its nothing really serious. Other Diesel nuts will eventually chime in with other options. Really cool people on this Forum and very helpful.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Thanks. Mine has around 98k miles on it.
I set it to stock tune a while ago, so it’s been on stock tune.
We are going to double check the fuel filter tomorrow.
My initial thoughts were the same as yours.
I checked all the boots & clamps, but everything looked good.

And I haven't seen a bit of smoke come from this truck at all.
(In the entire 4 weeks & 1500 miles that I've owned it. LOL)

I posted the same on another site, thinking more brains the better.
I've been talking with a guy who is confident it is the in tank fuel pump.
I called the dealership I JUST bought it from who originally said the fuel filter was just replaced and they are now saying maybe it wasn’t.

So they are towing it tomorrow, I told them that it drives fine at 1/4 throttle or less.
But the owner told me about an older dodge that the lift pump went out and he tried to drive it in and got about 50 miles, and over worked the injection pump and fried it.

Therefore they are bringing the flatbed tow truck.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Diesel Bomber

Doh!!! I didnt think of the fuel pump & filter! Sucks that the stealership would misinform you about the fuel filter. Those MFers will sugar coat anything to make a sale. Nice to see them backpedal. "All that Integrity shot to sh*t!" Hopefully they will fix it for you free of charge. That would be a GOOD thing... Good luck with it, Let us know how it goes. Ive got 122k on mine and so far so good.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM

So they replaced the fuel filter & that was not the problem.
They were going to hook up a fuel pressure tester, and one of the shop guys were poking around and checked the air filter.
It was broken, so every time there was slight acceleration the filter would collapse.

The only thing that I have modified was the intake muffler with a straight tube.
Airaid Modular Intake Tube 300-928
But wouldn't it trip the little air box button? Or does that button reset by its self?

Have you or anyone ever came accross this? Could I be drawing too much air, or was it just a crappy filter?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 AM
Diesel Bomber

The air filter was broken??? Please clarify. "Filter would collapse?" What kind/ brand of air filter are you running? AND, how dirty was it? If it is "collapsing", I would be inclined to believe that it was seriously clogged and your engine just couldnt breathe. The "Filter Minder" on your air box does not reset itself. Rather, it should have a yellow colored button diaphram on its top. Just push it and it should reset itself.
Whatever you do, DO NOTskimp on filters (Air, Oil and especially Fuel filters) Trying to save money by buying offbrand or "Filters on the Cheap" can cost you dearly. Always, and I mean always use quality filters. I cannot emphasize this enough. Get them from cummins if at all possible. Fleetguard filters are good filters. A dry element BHAF (Big Honkin Air Filter) will not collapse on you, and it will handle your engines air demands nicely. Ive been using a BHAF on my truck for the last 68k miles with no issues. My filter minder doesnt even move.
If you want to keep your stock air box, use a quality air filter, and fit a 4" hose to the bottom of your airbox (use a 4" holesaw to drill hole on the bottom of the airbox), to draw additioinal cool air into your box. Or, just replace the whole thing with a cold air intake filter kit. BTW, theres no such thing as drawing too much air in a CTD. Crappy filter.....is another issue. Is your truck still in the shop? Problem solved yet?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:45 PM
Default simular problem

i have a 98.5 24 valve with an edge chip,my truck ran great til i got stuck was reving an all was well then it shut down,i restarted it fired right up but since then it revs to 2000 rpm n cuts out an if i dont move my foot oon pedal it goes to the idle n comes right back..lots of boost turbo whistles lots of power n cuts again at 2000 every time.if i baby it i can get it up fast enough to get into highway gear n go...any ideas wat i did?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Diesel Fan

Check your air filter like the guys above said to do