5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

"Wait to Start" light

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "Wait to Start" light

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9CR. The truck has 195,000 miles on it and runs great. As far as I know the truck is stock. I bought a Smarty SO6 POD for it, used, and installed it. I drove the truck for about 40 miles and it was running great with the Smarty installed. Out of the blue, my Wait to Start light came on and chimed about 10 times. I noticed later that the truck was running like the programmer wasn't even working anymore. When I got home I plugged the Smarty into the truck to see if there were and DTC's but it came up with none. Just out of sheer curiosity I hit 'clear codes' and the light went out and the truck ran like it should run with the programmer on. The light has come on two or three other times and each time it does the truck runs like it is stock, put the Smarty on it and hit "Clear DTC's", even though no codes ever show up, and the light goes out and the truck runs great. I am at a loss. What does the Wait to Start light have to do with the way the truck performs? I am at a loss...

Old 07-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 05 and I just got a Smarty yesterday and never have seen the "Wait To Start" light on my dash before I installed it. My symptoms and cure are exactly the same as the OP.

Previous to the Smarty I was running Bullydog with Crazy Larry and the the light never came on.

What does it mean and how do I fix it?

Last edited by Donato; 07-29-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Ive so far changed the FCA on the CP3 pump, put a different computer on it, Total integrated power module (fuse block) and nothing has worked! I may try the fuel rail off a buddy's truck to see if one of the sensors are going bad! After that I'm pretty much out of ideas and tired of throwing money at it with no results. I love the truck but this seems to be something stupid that is driving me crazy. Let me know if you have any success. Also I haven't had the smarty on it since I put the new computer on it but the light still comes on!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM
K80
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Before clearing the codes, try to see what codes are in the truck. Next time your truck does it, post what codes it throws up.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM

The light came on AGAIN!!! Used the smarty to look up the codes and it had P1222 come up. This code is not always there because I know several times it says "no dtcs"!

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

The more I think about this problem the more I am thinking it is something in the fuel system, just not sure what. The light never comes on when my foot is on the throttle. If I put a load on the truck, weather it be more passengers or a trailer, it will come on either when I am going down hill (off throttle) after pulling a long up-hill road and let off the throttle, or just going down a long hill with just me in the truck. I just don't know what else to replace. I am thinking about a bad sensor on the fuel rail, maybe fuel pressure limiting valve or the cascade overflow valve on the cp3 pump. I don't know anymore. P.S. I also have an air dog fuel pump on the truck which didn't help!

Last edited by fantom318; 07-30-2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM
K80
Diesel Enthusiast

I see you posted in a thread about this issue on Cummins forum. I believe your smarty is loaded with a newer update since everyone with this issue has a recent update it seems.

"today a board member "mopo824" came out to my place and I had him return his truck to stock and the only older Smarty file he had was beta 4.2, so I had him put that on his Smarty.

His truck was on "stock" tuning coming off of TNT63 and then TNT64. He got the WTS light a couple times on his way to my place

I loaded Bully Dog 2.4.3 to his truck and he went on about a 20-30min drive cruising between 68 and 75mph and the WTS never kicked.

We loaded the truck back to stock with the Bully Dog and he loaded the Beta 4.2 to the truck and is back on his way home. I've got my fingers crossed that this back-date using the Bully Dog will get rid of the WTS issue for him and others.

Again, if anybody in the Houston area would like me to back-date their truck for them, I'll gladly do it. I probably also have an older Smarty file I can email you if you don't have one. Still not 100% certain this will work, but it might be a viable option for people until Marco gets the newer software sorted out.

Unfortunately going to the dealer and requesting a reflash will likely put you in the exact same spot as a dealer will typically only flash to the latest available flash."

Above is a temporary fix until smarty comes out with an update for this fix. Since smarty updates use the most recent flash (which looks to be bugged) the smarty tune looks to be bugged also. I will look to see if I have an old smarty update to send.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I found my old TNT tune if anyone wants to try and "backflash" your smarty until an update or permanent fix comes out send me your e-mail.

Last edited by K80; 07-30-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 AM

I'll try anything at this point! I did try other smarty's on the truck but I think they all had the updated flash, I never could find anyone with an older version. my e-mail is dtvpr2000@hotmail.com.

Last edited by fantom318; 07-31-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantom, the source of the code is coming from the Chrysler update in the Smarty. I have an 05 with 125,000 miles and never even knew what a WTS light was until I got my Smarty two days ago.

Turning your truck back to stock doesn't work. The Smarty doesn't set your truck to the stock tune without the bug that what was there before, but the stock tune on the Smarty that has the Chrysler bug!

The guys at Mads Electronics know the problem exists and are working on a fix. I contacted Bob yesterday and he is going to email me the previous SW release.

The Bully Dog doesn't have the Chrysler update so it will replace the newer with the older that doesn't have the Chrysler bug.

I've read posts where dealers are telling customers they need new injectors and a fuel system at the tune of 8k which won't even fix it because it's a bug in the Chrysler programming.

I'm going to use my Bully Dog and then the previous SW release I get from Bob and that should fix it. I would suggest you call Bob at Mads, below are some posts with his contact info.

WTS light/ Grid heater issue - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Last edited by Donato; 07-31-2012 at 05:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dairymaiden (08-28-2017)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:58 AM
K80
Diesel Enthusiast

E-mail sent. Here is a thread on CompD by Bob. Explains the issues they're having.

WTS light/ Grid heater issue - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 AM

Well here is an update! I was attempting to load the TNT tune onto my smarty and my computer decided to go on the fritz so I had to wait till my brother was able to fix that! In the meantime I emailed bob Wagner and explained the issue with the WTS light. After sending him my VIN he sent me a "recovery" file which my neighbor installed onto my programmer. Loaded it on the truck and drove a little over 300 miles with and without a trailer on and the lamp never once came on which was nice considering I have been dealing with this for about 8 months! I then contacted Bob again and explained that the light never came on but how do I go about putting the smarty back on it! I was worrirled that the problem would reoccur. He sent me another program and I was able to load it onto my smarty (thanks to my brother for fixing my computer) and programmed the truck last night so I don't know yet weather it has worked yet or not but will find out soon enough and will post a report! But so far I want to thank all for the help and the suggestion to contact Bob!

Quick Reply: "Wait to Start" light