5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

04.5 Ram 2500 6sp

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04.5 Ram 2500 6sp

Hello all. New here and can't find specific issue. Any help is appreciated.

My trans rattles bad. I assume it is imput to main shaft bearings. Is this a common problem and is there a better solution to this trans. I see a lot of great feedback on this transmission. The other problem is that I am eating up clutches. I had to replace the clutch at about 80k due to driver error so I put new everything from the master/slave to flywheel and clutch kit. At that time I put a Ceramic/composite clutch in it and only got abuot 15k before it was out. I thought the ,aster/slave was shot and replaced it only to find that was not the problem. I pulled the trans out and inspected. The pressure plate was purple! Right away I assumed the person driving the truck was riding the pedal. No damage to the disc or flywheel only the pressure plate side where the ceramic side of the clutch. I replaced the clutch with a less agressive Kevlar button clutch and not have about 8k on the new one and I am getting an intermittent slip. Several people use this truck besides me and I get no feedback from them so when there is a problem I am usually the one to find it.

I am stumped on the slippage wondering if there is something I am missing. I have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and have tried to rule out all the normal stuff but I do not have a great deal of experiance with the Dodge stuff.

Thanks. Dave

Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

rattle is due to the aftermarket clutches your putting in. just noisy other than that its not hurting anything. sounds like your clutch isnt correct one for the year truck youre using it in. ive seen these problems when doing swapping trans models. im not for sure what exactly you have going on but id make sure the clutch kits are for a 3rd gen with nv5600 and not for a 2nd gen. just a thought. id pull slave cyl. out and see how much free play you have on the clutch fork. sounds like the fork could be bottomed out causing your purple pressure plate

Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

For reference, I got nearly 200k out of the stock clutch...but that was without added power.

It does sound like the clutch isn't being allowed to fully engage, and is slipping...or one of the other "people" is abusing the truck because its not theirs...

The rattle may very well be from the aftermarket clutch (as noted previously, a normal noise)...a double disc really chatters. These transmissions also have noise from CPM (critical power moment) when just idling along...its just noise from all the components just taking up the space in their tolerances when not under load.