5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Batteries bad / both tops blew off on 1 battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries bad / both tops blew off on 1 battery

Just got back from Afghanistan. After being in storage for almost a year, I ended up having to replace both batteries, they were original. I bought 2 brand new top of line batteries, and the truck started right up and runs great. Well, after about 20 miles, I started smelling acid. So I pulled over and saw that both tops on the passenger side battery blew off and acid was everywhere. Luckily, I was able to clean it before the paint was ruined. So I went back to the store and got a replacement with no issues. But, the manager says that it's an overcharging issue and that the regulator inside in alternator could be bad and overcharing. My questions are 1: Has anyone had this happen and if so, what was the cause? 2: If the voltage regulator was bad, wouldn't both batteries get overcharged instead of just one? I personally think it was a bad battery, but I'm a little afraid to drive it now because I don't want to get straned somewhere. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

check what the alt is putting out.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts

1st check/clean all the grounds and connections between the batteries, especially the isolator down by the passenger battery.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Double check all connections to the batteries.
Check voltage while the engine is running and alternator charging. Shouldn't be more then 14.4 Volts.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Voltage is regulated by the ECM. Check all connections and ground points as mentioned.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Diesel Fan

The meter was right in the middle. I checked and rechecked, and the batteries were hooked up correctly. I've seen this before in an electric forklift. O nce the battery was replaced, no problems, that's why I think it's a battery problem, and not an overcharging issue. I've driven about 50 miles today with no issues. This is weird, I can't explain it.Thanks for your responses.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

the battery could have been bad.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Diesel Fan

So I replaced the new battery, and within 5 minutes, both tops on the passenger side battery blew off again. I exchanged it again, so this is the third passenger side battery in 3 days. I took the alterator to both NAPA and Autozone to get tested, and everything tested out good at both places. So here's what I know: I have 2 brand new batteries, the alternator and voltage regulator tested good. All cables are in great condition. There are no check engine or gauge lights on, so I'm stumped at this point. I appreciate any responses.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:46 PM

Carry some baking soda with you to neutralize the acid. My initial thought is to switch the driver side battery (which has been good the entire time correct?) with the passenger, to make sure hte issue is isolated to the passenger side, since you know for certain the driver side battery is good. But then again, that will probably cost you another battery as well.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes, the driver's side battery has been fine all along. I did think about swapping sides as well, but chose not to. I think tomorrow, I'll go talk to the service dept at the local Dodge dealership. I'm afraid to drive it in case it does this again in traffic. Whatever it is, it is isolated to the right side. I am thinking about just replacing all the battery cables just to eliminate that, but I don't see why they would go bad. Nothing's happened to the truck, it was just sitting for 11 1/2 months, and I did disconnect the batteries and taped the terminals before I left. I wasn't surprised they died because they were the original batteries.

Quick Reply: Batteries bad / both tops blew off on 1 battery