5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Electrical Issues

Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Electrical Issues

I have an 05 that is driving me crazy with these electrical problems. It started out with my stereo losing power whenever it wanted. Now, I have no interior lights when I open my door. In fact, there is no power in the cab at all unless the key is in the "ON" or the "ACCESSORY" position. My power locks wont work either unless the key is in one of these two positions. Has anyone ever had similar issues???
Thanks
Jason

Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has slightly different problems. When I use the powerlock button on the remote and in the cab only the front door locks actuate. The rears are manual only. Either the previous owner was trying to save money with the options or dodge outsourced the electrial work to British Leyland.

My vent switch is funky too! It only blows out of the top of the dash unless you select recirculate, then it blows out of every vent!

My right rear door speaker doesn't work either and the radios stupid quiet. Maybe I'm just deaf from years of ear drum neglect.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, my left rear door speaker wasnt working when I bought the truck. And being the electronic technician that I am, I found the problem. When you open the rear door, you will see a black rubber corrugated tube where the wires for the door come from the cab. I took that off of the door side and found that Dodge didnt make the damn wires long enough. I found 2 broken wires, both of which just happened to be the speaker wires. They were pulled to the point that they broke because they were to short, so I lengthened both sides and havent had any problems so far.
But as far as my other issues, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I thought it could have been caused by installing some gauges, but I put a solenoid in under the hood so it has both constant and switched 12V to run the the gauges with, and I didn't mess with any factory wiring at all, so there is one thing eleminated. I am not sure if I want to take it to someone to fix or not..It is sorta a pain not having interior lights unless the key is on.. That sucks....