5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Got a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a Few Questions

I'll be buying my first diesel next week. 2004.5 2500. Guy I'm buying it from takes real good care of it but said the first thing I should mod on it is getting a foss. Its got 4 inch exhaust, tranny replaced 60k ago and it has a big pan that he said tranny temp was not needed. 2" front level, adjustable shocks and it also has a box to change the fuel mix and such. I forget the name of the box but he said without it its slower. Its pretty quick right now. If I nail it I get a black clound of smoke. Is that normal? My big question is other than filtering the fuel do I really need a bust pump like this foss? Thanks

Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Black smoke is unburned fuel (soot). What make is the programmer/module?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Its a bully dog but I didn't take note of the model. I first thought it was something you programed on the fly but he said it was installed. When I test drove this truck it pretty much leaped off the line. Owners said he has it set for performance and that he used to be able to change the mode untill the display (small rectangular screen) crapped out. He also said that I would notice the decrease in performance if the bully dog was not installed. He's buying a new 2500 and bully dog said they will give him a $300 credit towards a new one for the old one. After a long conversation he said he'd just leave the BD on the truck. That is if he do not forget. I'm buying this for $8K so I figure he is cutting me a great deal anyhow. Do you think is might be worth me shelling out 300 for BD if he asks? I'll get the model number on Monday and post it here. He also said this truck dinoed at 425HP. If it was a gas engine I could understed how its setup but I'm just to new to diesels to make the connection right now

Old 08-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the screen does not work how do you know if it is working at all ??

Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Diesel Fan

Because the program is already loaded. I have the triple dog module and it looks like I can hook it up and read what program is loaded and if there are any fault coded. No power to the display but the display is used for temps and stuff and the big deal about it is the ability to adjust the setting on-the-fly. On-the-fly is bully dogs top selling point but this in and older bully dog so to me its just a performace adjuster. This is is way faster than stock. i'll post what the program is as soon as I get a chance to run it up. I think it a pwer pup bully dog. Works with dodge, ford, and gmC