5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Life and Death

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Life and Death

Ok guys here's what I've got. On my 2007 5.9 my fuel rail pressure will drop off until the truck dies. If a am rolling at around 25mph and accelerate just to gain speed I can watch my rail pressure drop from 22ksi to below 1ksi, then the pressure shoots right back up and bam the Super B twins do their thing and the truck runs hard. I can be driving at most any speed and fuel rail pressure drops off to almost nothing. At a dead stop, you can start off normal and the fuel rail pressure drops off, the truck looses power, then bam full pressure and away we go.
I am reading the rail pressure on a Bully Dog Triple Dog.
Now, I block off the fuel regulator as describe in a post on this forum to see if this would change the way the rail pressure is acting. The modification made little difference. I also removed, cleaned and visually inspected all injectors and injector tubes. Injectors were checked and seem to be operating correctly. I get a code P0148 which is a fuel rail pressure high voltage fault. I am thinking that the Fuel Pressure Sensor is bad and sending a bad signal to the ECM to shut down the fuel. What do you guys think.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
K80
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bad FCA possibly? Do you have a stock CP3? Any fuel in the oil?

Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Diesel Fan

No fuel in the oil. This has been going on for a while. So I've change the oil a couple of times and I looks good. No rise is oil level either. It started right after I popped a head gasket and took out #5 and #6 injector. The fix was no sweat and the ARP studs will save a repeat of that nonsense. A fuel rail with a new sensor and pressure regulator is only $300. As soon as the money train rolls by I'll buy one. I gotta get this rig fixed. I miss the look on the Mustang owners faces when a 8,000# truck eats them for lunch!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Life and Death

The fact that you had things apart and see a voltage code makes me suspect the wiring harness.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 PM
Diesel Fan

You could be right. I am going to do a careful inspection of my harnesses. I run an Edge juice w/ attitude and CTS monitor that I just sent to Edge for upgrades for upgrades. If you know these units they are piggy backed so my harnesses get a good work out.
Good call NadirPoint. Always start with the basics.