5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Wait to Start indicator stays lit

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wait to Start indicator stays lit

Truck in question is in my sig line. I have 97k on the truck.

On the way home from work this evening I was playing with my truck along a straight stretch of the interstate. From 65 I gradually applied pressure to the pedal till about 1/2 throttle and let it accelerate to about 105 - 110 and then let out and slowed down. Was at this speed for less than 10 seconds. Upon slowing down around 70 I started hearing dinging and saw my wait to start indicator was flashing. It seemed to ding and flash for about 30 seconds and then finally stopped. The truck did not appear to drive any differently and there were no apparent issues. I checked for DTC codes on my Scout 2, but none were found. Trans temp, boost, water were all in range. (Don't have EGT hooked up yet.)

Upon getting home I checked for codes again before turning off the truck and grabbed my phone to film the shutdown and startup process so I wouldn't forget what happened.

So after turning the truck off and then turning the key to ON, the WTS light stays on. A few seconds after turning to ON position, the truck dings 5 times and the WTS light never turns out even after cranking.

I'm uploading the videos now, but thought I'd go ahead and get this post going. Searched the web briefly, but didn't find anything matched my symptoms exactly. Anyone seen this before?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Wait to start light on and 5 dings - YouTube

Instrument panel test - YouTube

I'm guessing the instrument panel is throwing code C05? (05 MIL indicator output circuit shorted.)

Drove the truck to work this morning. Considerable loss of power. Limp mode? If I don't figure anything out this weekend I'll flash it back to stock and take it to the dealer on Monday.

Last edited by cltdba; 08-12-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Diesel Fan

Further progress:

- Flashed it back stock. WTS light went off. Hit speeds of 80mph and let off accelerator. Light came back on.
- Flashed it with performance tune. WTS light went off. Left Quadzilla Scout II unplugged. Hit speeds of 80mph and let off accelerator. Light came back on.
- Flashed it back stock. WTS light went off. Plugged in QZ Scout II. Hit 75 mph and let off accelerator. Light came back on. Drove it to the dealership.

So now it's sitting at the dealer on stock tune with the WTS light on. Hopefully I'll hear back soon. Hopefully the bill with be small...

Dealer called back. Could not figure out problem with WTS light staying on, but did say the scan tool picked up some injector pressure problems. He recommends replacing all 6. He cleared the codes and the WTS light went off of course. Gotta wait till Monday to find out if warranty will cover the injectors. If so, then I'll let them replace them. If not, then it's time to start looking at upgrades.

Last edited by cltdba; 08-13-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Diesel Fan

New injectors installed. Problem persists. I've narrowed it down to a bug in the latest stock ECM code from Chrysler. Read my thread on CF for the details. I won't be updating this thread any longer due to lack of response.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I know nothing about trucks , but I see that you had a problem with the wait to start indicator staying on, I hope that you could in laymen terms let me know what I should try first.