5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Another One Bites the dust

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another One Bites the dust

Hey! Thought that I would introduce my truck as well as ask for some advise at the same time. This is my first time on a forum like this so be gentle.

So I Just recently bought a 2004.5 (I think) Dodge 24v Cummins 3500 dully to tow my toys around. 2 weeks later on a 95* day I started my truck to drive home from a friend’s house and the idle was the roughest I have ever felt. Smoke was coming from a black hose from the side of the motor and was leaking oil out of the same hose. I took it to a buddies shop and was told that I have a dead hole and have fried a piston due to an injector failing. So after talking to him for a little while that even after a rebuild I would have the same problems down the road and would have to do a total rebuild again (worse case scenario).

Looking for some brainstorming from the bomber experts or people that have way more knowledge than me. Was thinking of putting a 12v in due to the simplicity of the motor and be able to keep the body style of the 04. I know that I will lose the gauges but what else will I end up losing? I have searched but keep finding people asking this same question and nothing being said about the finished project. Has anyone documented this swap or know someone that has done it that I can talk to? Want something for towing all the toys around that will last a long time before having to get a rebuild.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Cdub

Old 06-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Here is something you can look at. Maybe even contact the guy and see what he can help you with.

Project Done! 12V Cummins in an 03 1500 functioning like OEM - DodgeForum.com

Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 162 Likes on 143 Posts

How much idling does your truck do? How many miles where on it at the time that she burnt down? If you have a good lift pump with filters it really seems to cut down on the Injector failure because dirt, and water kill common rail trucks. A 12 valve swap would be cool but I dont think its 100% necessary

Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

well if you fried a piston due to injector failure my first thought would be get some new injectors, then check into getting new pistons and I have even heard about having them ceramic coated (Don't hold me to that, it's somthing i have heard.) Then do an airdog and new fuel filter. Then see where that takes you

Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.. didnt think that the filter would let that much go past the filter.

It had 277k on it when it went tried to kill it self. The truck doesnt do a whole lot of idling other than warming up or cooling down if I was to pull something.

Talking to a shop now to get the problem fixed because I am on a short time table for needing it fixed.

Once the problem is fixed what would be signs to look for when an injector is going bad?

Thanks for all the suggestions.