5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C Problems

so i've had my truck for a week and really enjoying it. other then the fact that my a/c is giving me problems. i put gauges on it and it appeared to be overcharged, running high discharge pressure (350+psi) and a high suction pressure (70+ psi) so i took a little liquid out of it and got the pressures back to what their supposed to look like (40 degree saturation suction temperature) and a 300-350 psi high side. still giving me problems. my accumulator isn't sweating like it should be and not blowing cold, but cool air in the cab. now i do air conditioning for a living so i know i know what i'm doing as to what ive done so far, but i don't do vehicle air condition. my question is that i noticed today that the driver side is blowing cool, but the passenger side is blowing hot. almost like the heater is stuck half open or something. but then i thought if the heater were stuck halfway open i'd be getting the same temp thru all vents corrrect? i don't have the schematics for it all so i'm guessing. what fuses are related to the air conditioning to i might check those. i checked the condensor and it's clean and clear of debree, i need to get in and check the evaporator. any suggestions in next steps would be appreciated.

also, why i've got your attention, break lights on my passenger side do not work. i have running lights but no break lights on tailights or headache rack. also, when i hooked up the the trailer yesterday it had running passenger side lights but no break lights. so i'm not getting power back their to them. is their a dedicated fuse for the passenger break lights or do i need to start troubleshooting the wiring for shorts?

thanks for your help, just trying to bounce some ideas off so i can hopefully alleviate more time spent on fixing the problem if someone has already been there done that and i can learn from their advice.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im no a/c expert but from what ive been told if the system has been open to the atmosphere theres a good chance there could be debris in the system clogging the filters in the line coming from the condenser. and does your truck have dual climate control?

as far as the brake lights are concered, most dodges ive seen are nightmares for trailer wiring but i would look for a short in one of the wires and also check to make sure truck/trailer are wired correctly, are you using a 4point flat, 6 point round or 7 round? in the bed or on the bumper factory trailer plug? and if i remember correctly there is not a dedicated fuse for each side, but one for running lights and another for turn/brake lights. should be a diagram on the fuse box cover to pinpoint each fuse. hopefully this helps

Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

What truck...this is the 3rd gen forum, but your signature indicates a early 2nd gen?

If its a 3rd gen:

The AC sounds like the common mode/recirc/blend door breakage...

The brake lights can be different for the early and later 3rd gen trucks...one is fuses under the hood, the other is the TIPM.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Updated my Sig. I've done some more reading and yes id have to agree that it does sound like the common problem of something with the recirc door. Especially now that i noticed its doing it intermittenly. And as for the break lights, if they share a single fuse then im looking at a short. Also as i mentioned above I comfirmed that the lights were not working an not simply burnt out when I hooked up to the trailer and its break light didn't work either. Although I still have all running lights.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like blend door. I got a new one on ebay for 50 bucks or so.