5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Bypassing heater core and a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bypassing heater core and a/c problems

Since I live in Texas and won't be needing my heater for awhile, I've decided to bypass the heater core since I've had to replace it 5 times in less than 2 years, any precautions I should take while it's bypassed?

And 2nd question is on my a/c, had it charged by the dealer and next day the line busted apart on the high side, so instead of wasting another $100 I just went and bought a can from auto zone and it's got about 1psi pressure and blows cold(not as cold as full charge) but passenger isn't as cold as drivers side. Maybe too much head pressure?? Wanting better a/c cuz black leather and Texas weather make for a hot ride

Old 05-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Diesel Fan

what yr blend doors known to break and possible orifice tube clogged lo side pressure will usually go up when clogged tube been known to get clogged.depending on yr orifice tube
in line fron drier to evaporator goes behind battery on r/s.tube not replaceable have to replace line if that is problem.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

5 heater cores??! Sounds like your cooling system is pressurized WAY to much or? Check for bubbles in your coolant! As far as the A/C as said above and an Aux pusher fan mounted to the Condenser really helps alot. Especially in traffic!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 186 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Don't Shut It Completely Off

Originally Posted by silverbullet1
...any precautions I should take while it's bypassed?
Make sure you actually "bypass" it and don't just shut it off. You can either plumb in a bypass with a core shutoff valve on the existing lines, or tap another port on the back of the head for your bypass. But whatever you do, make sure to maintain water flow out the back of that head.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Diesel Fan

It's an '03 and at the end of the summer last year, I had to replace almost all the blend doors and actuators which sucked, and how Would I check to make sure the lines aren't clogged? Or would I just have to replace the line? And on the heater I piped in a new line to bypass the heater core. Idk why they keep failing? No bubbles and not over pressuring, I've heard some people saying something about electrolysis, and putting a zinc diode on the line to absorb the electrical charge.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

There is a filter usually on the high side where the line comes to the core. If your a/c core is getting really hot while a/c is on it is probably clogged. Takes a special tool to bust the line apart think it is called alligator ring pliers or something of that sort.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Diesel Fan

Of coarse there's always a "special tool", luckily I know plenty of diesel mechanics and I'll look into that, I appriciate how helpful everyone is on here

Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Use a temp gun at the orfice; should be a major temperature difference before and after as that's what creates the area of low pressure and allows the refrigerant to boil. No major temp difference could indicate your plug (if any). Should see 4 small indents or flat spots around the high side compressor line; that'll be where your orfice is at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts

Also if the system opened to atmosphere, it's now considered contaminated and most shops won't touch it anyways (that is if they test it before recovery) best bet; figure out the problem; take the valve core out of the low side and let it sit over night allowing it all to evaporate. Replace your receiver/dryer and have an a/c shop or friend vac it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dangerous1965
5 heater cores??! Sounds like your cooling system is pressurized WAY to much or? Check for bubbles in your coolant! As far as the A/C as said above and an Aux pusher fan mounted to the Condenser really helps alot. Especially in traffic!
Got any pics of the aux fan? I could always use a colder a/c by the "wife standards"