5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New purchase 2004 Cummins - dead pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New purchase 2004 Cummins - dead pedal

I just purchased this truck from Arizona and had it shipped to me in Wisconsin. I see someone did some 'hotrodding' with this at one time, but now back to stock except for the exhaust. Looks to be 5".

I have been reading alot on this forum and learned a great deal. This is an early 2004 and yes it still has on the lift pump located on the back of the filter. I got myself an airdog and plan on putting that on tomorrow along with a new fuel filter from Chrysler (Baldwin filter is not available until Monday - so it's on order).

The truck seems very sluggish and under powered. I am getting 2 codes - P2122 and P0234. I tried the resetting of the apps (engine mounted), but did not help. I took the aircleaner off tonight and someone put on a K&N filter, so that will have to go and I will get a bhaf. I see the issues with K&N, so I took the hose off to the turbo and I see a little black (soot like) stuff on the very edges. Is this okay?

Enough for now... Hope I can get some help.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Sorry, but it looks like I may have this in the wrong forum.

Last edited by 33Willys; 05-06-2011 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Moved to the correct forum for ya!

Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

apps senor going nuts . you can look for apps rest it will tell you how to reset the pedal, had to do it to my 04 once

Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Okay, I did the whole disconnect battery and throttle thing for a reset, but no change. I did find out to check and set the voltage, so I will give that a try tomorrow.

When I get on it, it just lags and blows some black smoke at first. Just lacks power and doesnt move like it should. Seems like the turbo takes a bit to spool up. It seems like it wants to take off, but just never does. Other than that, it runs smooth. My old V10 would rip it apart at the moment.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My apps went South a couple of years ago.......no amount of resetting seemed to help. I purchased an aftermarket apps for 160.00 from timbo01(on another forum).....haven't had to look back.....it was an easy install.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM

Hi all, I tried to reset the apps, the wire I probed showed like 4.3 volts, and when I turn the sensor, it just goes down to .001 volts - I get nothing inbetween. I just set it back to were it was. I cleared the codes and all seemed fine - so I took it for a ride. The 2122 code is gone, but the 0234 came back. The truck just seems sluggish.

I check the wastegate, and that is free (not stuck). Why do I get this code? The truck is stock, but at one time someone had some aftermarket enhancer.

If I take it to the dealer to have them flash the computer, would that help me?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Ok, today I took out the MAP sensor and cleaned it. Put it back in, cleared the codes again and took it for a ride. No more codes at this time!!

Now the pedal still seems lazy. It will get up to speed, but takes a long time. I feel the turbo start to kick in, and then it just levels off and feeling powerless.

Any ideas?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

i'd say the apps is bad if there is no voltage readings in between just a thought

Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 AM

I should have a new apps (from Timbo01) shortly. I also ordered a Smarty Jr. These should make this thing wake up a bit.

I drove it last night and I was hard on it. Seems a little better once I got home, but this truck is stock, so I dont know how much to expect out of it. I am assuming everyone is putting some kind of aftermarket upgrades on them for a reason.

I will keep everyone posted.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 PM

UPDATE!!!

I installed Smarty Jr tonight (apps didn't come yet). I can now say proudly that I have a Dodge Cummins. The Smarty Jr is just what this truck should have been tuned with from the factory. I love the smooth and steady power.

It still is nothing like my 700+ horse Blown Hemi in my hotrod, but I am confident it will pull my fifth wheel with ease.

The apps will still go in when I get it. I had the dead pedal syndrom a couple of times and had a code for it, so I will just take care of that issue right away and this truck should serve me well.

Thanks all for your input.

Quick Reply: New purchase 2004 Cummins - dead pedal