5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

New owner of an 06, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New owner of an 06, have some questions

Hi everyone. I am a new owner of a 2006 MegaCab, and I have a few questions that I hope y'all can help me out with.

First off, my truck is stuck other then a small lift and some aftermarket dress-up pieces. I bought this truck in order to pull my inherited 33ft Travel Trailer every couple months or so, and my bassboat on a regular basis. This is my first diesel truck, so I'm looking for some advice.

I am wanting to get an Edge Juice CT with Attitude in order to hopefully get a little more power for towing, and hopefully better mileage when not towing. I'm not looking to hotrod the truck, and build huge amounts of horsepower, but I would love to be able to set the cruise at 65 with my TT hitched, and not have it downshift all the time.

After doing a bunch of research, I'm starting to realize that if I want to put the Edge on it, I need all this other stuff that I don't really feel like paying for right now...i.e. Lift Pump, Better Tranny, Bigger Turbo, Cold Air Intake (although this is a mod that I would like to do)

Do I really need all this stuff just to get a little more power with the Edge? Can somebody give me a little guidance on this please? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 05.using smarty jr programmer and love it.truck is stock.in tow setting work really
well.smarty is easy to use and is for dodge products only.think you would be happy with
performance of truck.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't been impressed with Edge products on my friends Dodge diesel's. Go with a smarty like stated above and just keep it on its lower power levels and you will be fine.
I ran a smarty, tst stacked ats twins and I never did need a lift pump

Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Edge EZ and absolutely love it. No matter what programmer or product you buy you're only going to avg a extra 1-2 mpg. The Edge EZ offers enough power for pulling and won't tear up your stock setup.

Congrats on your buy.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i ran an edge jwa on my 04 and really liked it. if you leave it on the lower settings you should be fine crank it all the way up and you will smoke the tranny. get the intake or just get a drop in.. i got rid of my cat and put in a 6 inch exhause to help with egts when pulling but i bet if you delete the cat and put in a muffler that flows itd be just as good. edge is nice cuz its pretty simple plug it in and never really have to screw with it , just be sure to put in a egt probe thats important

Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As for tuners, I think that is to your liking, but for common rail injectors, clean fuel is a must. First thing id do to my truck is a air dog or fass, then gauges, and then a tuner. Congrats on the buy! The megacab Cummins is my dream ruck!!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my Edge JWA. I have the CTS, the full touch screen. The display is great, it monitors several different guages at the same time. Sweet truck Bro!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You

Thanks all for the replies. I really appreciate it. I believe I now have a game plan of what I would like to do to my truck. First the Edge, then a CAI / Open Up the Exhaust. I understand that the newest version of the Edge has a gauge for monitoring fuel pressure, so if necessary I'll upgrade to keep the pressure up.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GET A SMARTY!!! they are the best by far, spend the money on a smarty with gauges. LOVE LOVE LOVE my smarty. So many people buy edge and then buy a smarty and put the edge in the scrap heap. Just my oppinion

Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The Quad measures both rail psi and lift pump psi. It does everything that the Edge does but it can be fine tuned. IMO, it's a lot better than the Edge or Bully Dog.

Smarty must be great but it didn't meet my needs.