5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Intermittant fan

Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Intermittant fan

My 06 Mega has a problem that sometimes the fan (blower) for the heat or a/c will not turn on. Other times I start it up and it is working. We all know this won't do - especially with summer vacations coming up - where do I start?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ttt

Old 04-14-2011, 10:50 PM
BOMBARDIER

Received 667 Likes on 553 Posts

Check the fuses?? Could very well be the TIPM (fuse box).

The following users liked this post:
mxtuner1 (04-18-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildbill
Check the fuses?? Could very well be the TIPM (fuse box).
Thanks WB will check tomorrow.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same problem on my 04. Digging in it last nite, found a wire plug a the base of the tilt steering on the left side (have to open lower dash panel under column). --Wiggle the plug with the key and fan on and it should turn off and on.-- PROBLEM-- Red power wire at the top of the plug is warm and starting to blacken(BURN).
I have not gotten the plug disconnected yet cuz it's being a bitch, but that looks to be the prob. A bad connection or something is causing it. My little cousin said to call the dodge dealership to check for a recall, cuz apparently they have recalls that they don't publish...WTFO! Will be doing that today. Will post more when i know more.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Dug a lil deeper tonight. I'll admit, when it comes to these new electrical systems, I'm a lil R-tarded, but i guess i'm smart enough to find a problem that dealerships
haven't.
That plug goes to some sort of control module in the left side of the upper steering column. The plug has a red plastic keeper on the bottom (floor) side and a white slide type keeper on the top (instrument cluster) side. Have to remove the plastic around the column. Remove the red keeper, the white keeper needs to be lifted about half an inch or so. Then pull back the plug. The top two wires should be twice a big as the rest in the plug. The left wire should be red and the right blue. On mine the red and blue wire terminals looked to be corroded on the back side, the wires were blackened (burnt) about 2 inches up the wires and the plastic around the plug terminals on the mating side was also burnt. The wires go up under the dash to a bigger harness on the left side.
Have not figured out exactly what the module is yet (God knows I've Googled the **** out of it), but the parts store i went to thinks it may be dealer specific, so more parts hunting tomorrow. But that still doesn't help the plug and the wires. Looks like soldering is in order.

Last edited by 95dynahd; 08-01-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out to be the ignition switch, bout $117. At dealer, $35. at NAPA. Will have to go to the dealer for the harness tho $60. It's not the whole thing, just the plug & a foot or 2 of wire. Have to solder in. No recall on it, Tech said it's upgraded parts & they haven't had problems after installation.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Ok Bros and Sissies, I figured it out- first the symptoms- sometimes the fan would not work at all. Sometimes. It would work all settings but hig@h. Other times work great for a couple weeks. First problem was the heater blower resistor (about $50 at car part store) it is found under the glove box in passenger compartment near where left knee of the passenger would be. It fixed the blower speed and the on off issues. 2 minute job to change. While there I pulled the blower fan motor (located right of the resistor) 3 screws and rigged up a tester- used 2 wires one off positive side pass battery and one off negative side. Held fan in one Hand (caution spins fast) put piece of tape between terminals on fan wedged one wire on _one side and then with free hand and wire touched other side. After 3 or so tries it worked but not well. So got new fan motor ((100$ same store) tested it with my high dollar rig and it about flew out of my hand! Installed new motor and it works really well. Total time needed if you just talk uninstall and reinstall is 10 mins. Good luck friends its easy!