Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I am changing the oil in my trans. Some people say to over fill by a little, some say to put a extra quart in. What is the best way to go? Thanks.... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

Default NV5600 How much oil?

I am changing the oil in my trans. Some people say to over fill by a little, some say to put a extra quart in.

What is the best way to go?

Thanks.

haulitrite's Sig:2005 CTD QC DRW 4x4 6sp stock
1994 CDT std cab dually with stahl utility box, 4x4, plate FF & AFC FF, BHAF W/factory vac indicator, auto, KDP tabed, ISSPRO-boost-trans-EGT gauges.
1977 Chevy C65 5&2 eaton, 12V CTD out of 94
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums View Member's Youtube Account

i would just pull the bolt on the side fill till it runs out extra quart woundnt hurt a bit

coors_man_2005's Sig:08 3500 qcsb 6.7 cummins- nv5600 conversion valair clutch, all deletes raised rail pressure, arp head studs and rocker studs, vulcan head gasket & o rings,(thanks lazarsmith) titanium valve springs, chromoly push rods, silver bullet 66/74/14,fas 150 lift pump, afe stage 2 intake, 2000 dodge 1/2 ton Cummins conversion g56 4k.gov springs HD valve springs pump turned up turbo to small
Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

9.6 pints, 1 quart=2 pints
Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

calls for 4.8 quarts i put 6 to cover everything also use synchromesh MTF amsoil makes it and Royal Purple does too its called syncromax

mopo824's Sig:Midnight Express-04.5 2500 4x4 6spd convert -> ATS Stage 6 w/Standalone VB & PCS, II R4's, PPE Duals, S472, AFE, H11, Pusher, Banks, Isspro, Smarty Beta 4.2, AD150, CPP, (E.D. twins coming soon)
Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

I do 6 quarts in mine but you can barely get 5 in through the fill port on the side. You either have to park sideways in a ditch (preferably one you can drive back out of) or pull the shifter from the top of the trans (not hard to do at all). I also use the Amsoil Syncromesh stuff.

This has been recommended to be by several people, including a good friend who is the local Cummins/Dodge tech. Reason is, when pulling a steep hill on mountain highways and such, the trans oil will flow to the back of the trans and leave the front bearings dry. With 6-quarts in, this won't happen and it does NOT create any over-fill problems.

dieseldude03's Sig:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2003 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4, QC, long bed. Cummins H.O., 6-speed, 4.10 axle gearing, Jake Brake, AEM Brute Force HD cai, AFE Blade Runner intake horn, Summit Racing 4" SS Exhaust, Edge "HOT" Juice w/ Attitude, DDP 50hp Injectors, Air Dog-100, HTT HTB2 62/12/65, 33 x 12.50 ProComp Extreme All Terrains, South Bend Con OFE, various other gizmos.

"Some people are like Slinkys. Pretty much worthless, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs!"
Old 03-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Diesel Bomber

alligatordiesel

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

I do 6 quarts in mine when I change it

Farmboy 2.0's Sig:2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with 2 Big Shiny Spiny Things, Some Big Ol Sticks, and a Man Pedal!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Diesel Wrench

Send a message via Yahoo to steved

If you don't pull the PTO covers, you can only get a little more than 4 quarts in on the refill...a lot hangs up in the "sump" in the bottom. I usually pull the cover, then soak up the excess with towels. Then it takes just shy of 5 quarts to refill.

Synchromesh is the fluid, but they are not all the same, and act differently in each NV5600. One may work better than another in your particular trans. Mine likes Redline the best...didn't shift for beans with RP SynchroMax, and Amsoil MTF shift quality was short lived. The only way you will know is to pick one, and use it a while...then try another if the first one didn't work well.

Overfilling has been debated...all I can tell you is that overfilling by a quart (before coolers) caused the oil to run hotter in my NV5600.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Diesel Bomber

bluedieselram

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

iv always put 6 quarts in mine

bluedieselram's Sig:toys gone
99 ram 2500 24valve being redone to be more family friendly...with speed

submit to reddit