Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

hi guys my name is Alex. i have a 03 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9 6. one month ago when i was towing, i was getting 11.3 mpg now when i am towing, i am getting 9mpg, sometimes 8 mpg. i checked the tire pressure. its ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 AM

View Member's Albums

Default How to increase MPG on 03 Dodge RAM 2500

hi guys
my name is Alex.
i have a 03 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9 6.
one month ago when i was towing, i was getting 11.3 mpg
now when i am towing, i am getting 9mpg, sometimes 8 mpg. i checked the tire pressure. its good.
does anybody know why the mpg went down within a month from 11 to 9?
thanks for any info.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Diesel Fan

you might wanna try to put put some additive in your fuel

LoneOakCummins21's Sig:2004 crew cab powerstroke king ranch: 4 in exhaust, EGR delete
Just Sold: 2005 Dode cummins 3500 crew cab. 6spd 5 in straight pipe 7 in tip., Quadzilla Xzillaraider2, quadzilla boost fooler, ISSPRO gauges(boost, pyro, fuel pressure).
RIP: 2001 Dodge cummins ext cab 5 spd. six gun, FASS pump, 100 hp injectors, vp44 HOT ROD, boost fooler, Banks intake manifold, banks cold air intake, head studs, bored 30 over
Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Diesel Bomber
Status: After i got my License plate nobody wants to Play???

View Member's Albums

Is it stock? That's about normal when towing. Was it the same load on the same road?

dangerous1965's Sig:Goodies so far S&B intake,Silver bullet 64,AFE Stainless steel manifold, 90hp sticks, Head studs, 5" exhaust,SMARTY SSR,Airdog 150, 1/2" big Line kit,Gutted lift pump housing with draw straw Mod, T&C diesel CP-3,MP-8 at Half power, Custom intake with heater grid delete High Ram Intake, Built tranny, More guages than can be expected! 225 70r 19.5 tires at 80psi nitrous for laughs!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM

View Member's Albums

i tried putting some additive.
its all stock.
its a different load every day and different roads every day.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Diesel Bomber

Originally Posted by champion View Post
i tried putting some additive.
its all stock.
its a different load every day and different roads every day.
there are many factors when it comes to mileage.. how smooth the road.. how fast you drive, the air temps, winter/summer fuel, weight of the load, aerodynamics of the load..... one trailer might be easier to tow than another, even tho they weigh the same

a good mileage tune, CAI, and exhaust will help, and keep your speeds to 60-65, keep your RPMs below 2000 then accelerating, keep the truck stock height or lower, stock sized tires(not mudders, but a highway terrain)

BriteWhiteRam's Sig:2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4 Crew, LBZ/ALLISON, PPE airbox mod, EGR blocker, EFI Live Tuned by me & Duramaxtuner
TOTALED:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 quadcab, Cummins/modded 48re, edge/juice/attitude
Old 05-08-2011, 12:20 AM

Justin.Framstad

I had a similar problem with my 05 Ram. I was getting about 23 MPG at 65MPH empty, then was suddenly getting about 17-19 MPG at 65MPH empty. There were no other symptoms at all until my brother accidentally moved my truck with the E-brake on at a gas station. After the fill up, all kinds of warning lights came on and the truck started shaking. The problem turned out to be that the front left wheel bearing was completely shot.

I will also add that I live in Japan but my truck lives in Montana and I only get home to drive it 1 month a year. During that month home, I average about 2500 miles of driving, which usually includes a drive along I-90 from Montana to Seattle and back.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by BriteWhiteRam View Post
there are many factors when it comes to mileage.. how smooth the road.. how fast you drive, the air temps, winter/summer fuel, weight of the load, aerodynamics of the load..... one trailer might be easier to tow than another, even tho they weigh the same

a good mileage tune, CAI, and exhaust will help, and keep your speeds to 60-65, keep your RPMs below 2000 then accelerating, keep the truck stock height or lower, stock sized tires(not mudders, but a highway terrain)

he is right! but one big factor that affects mileage is the way you drive it! if you drive it like you stole it you will definitely result in a bad mileage. also breaking too hard will affect your mileage. leaving your window open while driving at high speed is also bad. the best way to have a better mileage and lots of savings is to not drive at all!

rsmith's Sig: in trouble! oil leaks! oh no!

submit to reddit