Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

i have a 03 cummins that keeps overheating anytime i put weight behind it. i replaced the wp, thermostat, belt, clutch fan and many other parts. the fan wires were cut like normal and fuse was blown. replaced the fan and fuse and it wont ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM

Default overheating while towing

i have a 03 cummins that keeps overheating anytime i put weight behind it. i replaced the wp, thermostat, belt, clutch fan and many other parts. the fan wires were cut like normal and fuse was blown. replaced the fan and fuse and it wont turn on still. getting both codes for the fan, fan speed and fan voltage or whatever. fan wont come on with ac either like everyone says it will. any help anyone? i cant find anything and need this fixed because i tow with this truck almost every day. thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Diesel Bomber
Status: After i got my License plate nobody wants to Play???

View Member's Albums

When it's running take the radiator cap off "carefully" and look in the coolant if you see little bubbles coming out constantly you have a blown head gasket. Most likely case! Even without the fan when driving it shouldn't get hot!

dangerous1965's Sig:Goodies so far S&B intake,Silver bullet 64,AFE Stainless steel manifold, 90hp sticks, Head studs, 5" exhaust,SMARTY SSR,Airdog 150, 1/2" big Line kit,Gutted lift pump housing with draw straw Mod, T&C diesel CP-3,MP-8 at Half power, Custom intake with heater grid delete High Ram Intake, Built tranny, More guages than can be expected! 225 70r 19.5 tires at 80psi nitrous for laughs!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Diesel Fan

How hot is it getting? Is it only when you are pulling a load?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Diesel Wrench
Status: Did you know that 45,000 pounds and 60 pounds of boost will break the teeth off of 3rd gear?

Originally Posted by dangerous1965 View Post
When it's running take the radiator cap off "carefully" and look in the coolant if you see little bubbles coming out constantly you have a blown head gasket. Most likely case! Even without the fan when driving it shouldn't get hot!
Usualy I won't hear my fan unless I am towing a heavy load in 100 degree temps. And that was on all my dodge diesel's 2000,2004,2006,2010.

Your right you may have a fan problem but a dirty intercooler,radiator could be a factor to your problem.

Hummin Cummins's Sig:2014 Jetta TDI Premium with Nav
2012 mega dually longhorn
1998 12 valve Twin turbo Cummins, short box extended cab
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Powerstroke crew cab King Ranch
2006 Jetta TDI
Old 02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

That too can be a cause and easy fix! Mud packed grill area! Man that would be much better than a blown head gasket!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM

yes its only when towing. its weird because everyone i talk to says it cause the fan isnt coming on. i cleaned everything and nothing. a guy on another forum said to ground the ground wire and it will lock up. guess im gonna try that. im starting to think my ecm got messed up when the wires got cut if they touched eachother aqnd shorted something out?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

if i dont watch it it will peg the gauge. i normaly notice it when the gauge gets to about 220 and pull over. dont want to melt down the motor. i know you wont always hear the fan because the ecm locks it at percentages to cool it at certain temps. all i do is tow with this truck so its a prety big problem.

Last edited by dieselpower1555; 02-14-2011 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

did you check for bubbles?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

my did the samething replaced all the stuff you did, cleaned outside and power flushed the inside of radiator still was doing it. finally i bought a radiator from genesis outo($150) on the web problem solved. cut the old radiator in half and 75% of the inside was completly clogged. it only over heated when towing, hope this helps

lunk's Sig:04 dodge dually 6" assie stacks, gauges, b&w gooseneck hitch, leveling kit, air bags, chip, boost fueler, cold air intake, and 9' 6" western V plow
01 dodge 2500 3" lift, 35" bfg's, smoked headlights and tail lights, recon smoked clearance lights, 03-07 style adjustable track bar with adapter plate, goose neck, and a 8' western plow
Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's Albums

Is it a Cummins T stat

Billy D's Sig:87 YJ with a work in progress 4BT
95 RC, 2wd new auto trani, stock, 208k.
90 LE250, 2wd, unmolested, 298k+, and going strong, tilt, air, cruise with a 4" pipe. Deny T #2, with a spring, Amsoil Nano filter.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by lunk View Post
my did the samething replaced all the stuff you did, cleaned outside and power flushed the inside of radiator still was doing it. finally i bought a radiator from genesis outo($150) on the web problem solved. cut the old radiator in half and 75% of the inside was completly clogged. it only over heated when towing, hope this helps

My radiator was pretty clogged up as well. When I changed out my rad and put in a cummins t-stat and the cooling problems went away.

submit to reddit