5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

2 Micron Filter?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2 Micron Filter?

Any one know where to get one that fits in the stock housing? If not, has anyone used the 2 micron fither/water separator, with a fass pump? Sure seems to me the dodge has dropped the ball on filtraion seeing how the injectors were made for 2, but yet they have a 7. I found out the other day that chevy has a 3 in thier turcks. I also heard that dodge is coming out with a 5, but relly .... comon jeesh.
Link to kit \/
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...it-p-1273.html

Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 102 Likes on 98 Posts

You are correct filtration is the key.
They used to make (I'm sure they still do) a oem drop in element that is 2um.

I'm not sure I would use it though as it will be pricey and will plug quickly which in turn can startve a truck of fuel. Admittedly that is more for a VP44 truck and not yours but I think you see my point.

I have the 144, the 12 and a 6 under the hood on my FASS set up.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Diesel Fan

well im planing on getting a 2micron filther kit then feeding it with a fass pump. Im sick of losing injectors due to abrasion. **** I just put ALL SIX in, so I want to keep them new.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Baldwin makes a 5 micron drop-in filter for our trucks...that's about the best one I have heard of for a while.

I run a HF6604 on the FASS...it is rated at 3 micron, but is actually 99.5% @ 5 micron, 98.6% at 3 micron (absolute), and 95% at 1 micron...and that is at 30 gallons per MINUTE, so it is effectively more efficient at our lower flow rates (95 gallon per HOUR on the FASS 95/150).

I know guys have used Cat filters in the past (1 or 2 micron) with good results...they usually place them between the OE filter and the injection pump. These tend not to affect flow or pressure because they are physically BIG.

The 2 micron Racor filter some guys use on the water separator side of the FASS is not recommended because it isn't designed for suction, and you can starve the FASS...not to mention it is only rated at 90GPH IIRC.

steved

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by madmanwithmouse
well im planing on getting a 2micron filther kit then feeding it with a fass pump.

And if you are referring to the Perma-Cool fuel filter, if you read the adds, they trap particles AS SMALL AS 2 micron...even a screen door will catch a 2 micron particle once in a while...

With the HF6604 FASS filter, you would essentially be filtering to around 1 micron, then running it through a 2 micron filter...the second filter wouldn't really do much.

steved

Last edited by steved; 10-23-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks Ill have to look into that.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesel Performance Products (FASS) has the FF-1003 Fuel Filter 3 Micron (Fass 150) for the long filter system and a short filter version coming soon. Also, I spoke with Dan at DPP today about the fact that the systems come out of the box with a filter that is not as fine as the OEM 7 micron and when a guy gets the FASS system the first day he needs to upgrade the filter to match or improve the filtration of the OEM system. He told me that in the near future this will change and they will be including a finer filtration filter than OEM in the kit right out of the box.

Any DPP (FASS / HPFP) dealer should have these on hand for you or be able to get them drop shipped from DPP without any trouble.

Larry

Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

A definitive answer from the source. Thanks Larry

Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 319 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by madmanwithmouse
Any one know where to get one that fits in the stock housing? If not, has anyone used the 2 micron fither/water separator, with a fass pump? Sure seems to me the dodge has dropped the ball on filtraion seeing how the injectors were made for 2, but yet they have a 7. I found out the other day that chevy has a 3 in thier turcks. I also heard that dodge is coming out with a 5, but relly .... comon jeesh.
Link to kit /
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...it-p-1273.html

Here ya go.

www.nicktane.com

And yes, it can be modified to fit the Dodge. Several have already done it.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Diesel Fan

humm...
I run a HF6604 on the FASS...it is rated at 3 micron, but is actually 99.5% @ 5 micron, 98.6% at 3 micron (absolute), and 95% at 1 micron...and that is at 30 gallons per MINUTE, so it is effectively more efficient at our lower flow rates (95 gallon per HOUR on the FASS 95/150).
In that case I might just go with a complete fass system.

I know guys have used Cat filters in the past (1 or 2 micron) with good results...they usually place them between the OE filter and the injection pump. These tend not to affect flow or pressure because they are physically BIG.
I was thinking of useing a case IH filther for a 9370 but, havent been able to find the specs yet.

The 2 micron Racor filter some guys use on the water separator side of the FASS is not recommended because it isn't designed for suction, and you can starve the FASS...not to mention it is only rated at 90GPH IIRC.
The fass setup has the filthers on the suction side?

The guy at the shop where they replaced my injectors told me that the fass system bypasses the stock filther.?! Also that to make sure to order it with the 5micron filther other wise it would come with a 10. Does anyone know the specs of the mount thread size, O-ring dimeter, ect...?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teh FASS system has the water seperater first, the fuel filter second, and the pump third. The filters are on the suction side. You cant really order a FASS system with a 5 micron because they are packaged with the FF-1010. Your dealer may be able to get a different filter in the box if he special orders that way with Dan, but I've never tried that one with him.

Yes, the FASS system completely elliminates the OEM filter. The fuel lines go from tank to FASS system, go from FASS system to injection pump. Your OEM fuel line that goes from the filter to the injection pump will be laying there dead beside where your blue rubber line from the FASS system goes into the new banjo bolt. You gain a vent line into the fuel tank...... the old fuel supply line.

Larry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 Micron Filter?