Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

5.9 Liter CR Dodge Cummins 03-07 Discussion of 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with Common Rail Injection

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Any one know where to get one that fits in the stock housing? If not, has anyone used the 2 micron fither/water separator, with a fass pump? Sure seems to me the dodge has dropped the ball on filtraion seeing how the injectors were made ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Diesel Fan

Default 2 Micron Filter?

Any one know where to get one that fits in the stock housing? If not, has anyone used the 2 micron fither/water separator, with a fass pump? Sure seems to me the dodge has dropped the ball on filtraion seeing how the injectors were made for 2, but yet they have a 7. I found out the other day that chevy has a 3 in thier turcks. I also heard that dodge is coming out with a 5, but relly .... comon jeesh.
Link to kit \/
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...it-p-1273.html

madmanwithmouse's Sig:2008 Chevy Crewcab 3500, 4x4:
straight piped, PPE extreme, Airlift Helper Airbags-With Compressor, MSD Dash Hawk
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Diesel Bomber

View Member's FaceBook Profile

You are correct filtration is the key.
They used to make (I'm sure they still do) a oem drop in element that is 2um.

I'm not sure I would use it though as it will be pricey and will plug quickly which in turn can startve a truck of fuel. Admittedly that is more for a VP44 truck and not yours but I think you see my point.

I have the 144, the 12 and a 6 under the hood on my FASS set up.

Wyatt Earp's Sig:Wyatt Earp
2012 Cummins Dodge 3500 Crew Cab, Long Box, Colour Match Canopy, S&B intake, VHF and Cell Booster
Other Car: 2008 MB R320 CDI - Diesel Luxury
Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Diesel Fan

well im planing on getting a 2micron filther kit then feeding it with a fass pump. Im sick of losing injectors due to abrasion. Shit I just put ALL SIX in, so I want to keep them new.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Diesel Wrench

Send a message via Yahoo to steved

Baldwin makes a 5 micron drop-in filter for our trucks...that's about the best one I have heard of for a while.

I run a HF6604 on the FASS...it is rated at 3 micron, but is actually 99.5% @ 5 micron, 98.6% at 3 micron (absolute), and 95% at 1 micron...and that is at 30 gallons per MINUTE, so it is effectively more efficient at our lower flow rates (95 gallon per HOUR on the FASS 95/150).

I know guys have used Cat filters in the past (1 or 2 micron) with good results...they usually place them between the OE filter and the injection pump. These tend not to affect flow or pressure because they are physically BIG.

The 2 micron Racor filter some guys use on the water separator side of the FASS is not recommended because it isn't designed for suction, and you can starve the FASS...not to mention it is only rated at 90GPH IIRC.

steved

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by madmanwithmouse View Post
well im planing on getting a 2micron filther kit then feeding it with a fass pump.

And if you are referring to the Perma-Cool fuel filter, if you read the adds, they trap particles AS SMALL AS 2 micron...even a screen door will catch a 2 micron particle once in a while...

With the HF6604 FASS filter, you would essentially be filtering to around 1 micron, then running it through a 2 micron filter...the second filter wouldn't really do much.

steved

Last edited by steved; 10-23-2007 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks Ill have to look into that.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Diesel Performance Products (FASS) has the FF-1003 Fuel Filter 3 Micron (Fass 150) for the long filter system and a short filter version coming soon. Also, I spoke with Dan at DPP today about the fact that the systems come out of the box with a filter that is not as fine as the OEM 7 micron and when a guy gets the FASS system the first day he needs to upgrade the filter to match or improve the filtration of the OEM system. He told me that in the near future this will change and they will be including a finer filtration filter than OEM in the kit right out of the box.

Any DPP (FASS / HPFP) dealer should have these on hand for you or be able to get them drop shipped from DPP without any trouble.

Larry
Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 PM
BOMBARDIER

A definitive answer from the source. Thanks Larry

Dr. Evil's Sig:
98 12V quad cab 4X4 AND 2001 24V quad cab 4X4

SEEN IT ALL, DONE IT ALL, CAN'T REMEMBER MOST OF IT !
Old 10-26-2007, 06:55 PM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums

Originally Posted by madmanwithmouse View Post
Any one know where to get one that fits in the stock housing? If not, has anyone used the 2 micron fither/water separator, with a fass pump? Sure seems to me the dodge has dropped the ball on filtraion seeing how the injectors were made for 2, but yet they have a 7. I found out the other day that chevy has a 3 in thier turcks. I also heard that dodge is coming out with a 5, but relly .... comon jeesh.
Link to kit /
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...it-p-1273.html

Here ya go.

www.nicktane.com

And yes, it can be modified to fit the Dodge. Several have already done it.

DangerousDuramax's Sig:
'05 2500HD CC/SB, LT, 2WD, Black
Click Here For My Garage

Change isnt change until there's change.
Do everything on purpose for a purpose lest it be a thorn in someone's side and waste of everyone's time.
They can take your life, freedom, and possessions but they cant take your knowledge or your God.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Diesel Fan

humm...
I run a HF6604 on the FASS...it is rated at 3 micron, but is actually 99.5% @ 5 micron, 98.6% at 3 micron (absolute), and 95% at 1 micron...and that is at 30 gallons per MINUTE, so it is effectively more efficient at our lower flow rates (95 gallon per HOUR on the FASS 95/150).
In that case I might just go with a complete fass system.

I know guys have used Cat filters in the past (1 or 2 micron) with good results...they usually place them between the OE filter and the injection pump. These tend not to affect flow or pressure because they are physically BIG.
I was thinking of useing a case IH filther for a 9370 but, havent been able to find the specs yet.

The 2 micron Racor filter some guys use on the water separator side of the FASS is not recommended because it isn't designed for suction, and you can starve the FASS...not to mention it is only rated at 90GPH IIRC.
The fass setup has the filthers on the suction side?

The guy at the shop where they replaced my injectors told me that the fass system bypasses the stock filther.?! Also that to make sure to order it with the 5micron filther other wise it would come with a 10. Does anyone know the specs of the mount thread size, O-ring dimeter, ect...?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Teh FASS system has the water seperater first, the fuel filter second, and the pump third. The filters are on the suction side. You cant really order a FASS system with a 5 micron because they are packaged with the FF-1010. Your dealer may be able to get a different filter in the box if he special orders that way with Dan, but I've never tried that one with him.

Yes, the FASS system completely elliminates the OEM filter. The fuel lines go from tank to FASS system, go from FASS system to injection pump. Your OEM fuel line that goes from the filter to the injection pump will be laying there dead beside where your blue rubber line from the FASS system goes into the new banjo bolt. You gain a vent line into the fuel tank...... the old fuel supply line.

Larry

Larry@DPP's Sig:Discount Power Parts
1-866-547-3517
AMSOIL - The home of the 25,000 Mile Oil Change!
Quadzilla, TST, SMARTY, FASS Fuel, Industrial Injection, HOUSE OF POWER INJECTORS, Edge, PPE, Trans-Go, DUNRITE, Alto Red Eagle, South Bend and MUCH MORE!

submit to reddit